Cringe Q - Can we eat Mayonnaise??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Christmas B Posts: 6191
Ok, so I'm pretty confused about a lot of things when it comes to pregnancy, so you may see the odd post now and again, asking a billy goat question!!! :-8 Anyhoo, someone said to me that we can't eat Mayonnaise because it has raw eggs in it!! Is that true?? Every flipping sambo in the shops has mayo on them!!!
Mrs Neadi* Posts: 1128
i think "commercial" mayonaisse like helmans etc. is ok it's just homemade you can't have as it's got raw eggs. I stand open to correction though!!
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I think you can eat mayonaise like hellmans when you buy it yourself and know how long you've had it. Don't think you should eat it from a deli though cos you don't know how long it's been there. Likewise don't eat coleslaw nor egg mayonaise or potato salad from deli counters.
Septbride Posts: 380
yes you can have helmans etc. just not homemade!!! Had my first antenatal class the other night and there was a big thing on foods to avoid and why. And homemade mayo was one of them but the midwife said the hellmans etc. were grand (if we knew the truth there is prob no eggs in them!!)
Tigletts Posts: 2904
AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|
Oh thanks girls!!! :thnk I find it hard to know what to eat and what not to eat!!
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
[quote="Tigletts":xs49cug8]AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|[/quote:xs49cug8] Wots wrong Tigletts? Can you have coleslaw/Egg mayo from a pub,surely thats freshly made daily....oh god I cant eat soup forever
MrsOBrien1412 Posts: 3971
ChristmasB here you go !!
Can I go for a chinese tonight??? Anything in that I shouldn't eat?? :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( :o( Oh man!!!!
bibikay Posts: 644
Once the Mayo has been pasteurised, then it's OK - Hellmann's is pasteurised. Same applies to cheeses ..... you will hear people telling you that you can't eat soft cheeses, but it's only unpasteurised cheeses that you can't eat. WRT the chinese..... a lot of their sauces will have peanuts in them (e.g. satay) , so it depends on whether you intend to avoid peanuts or not. There was another post on peanuts earlier this week, but basically the guidelines are that if you , DP or family have had allergic reactions to anything before that you are probably best to avoid peanuts.. allergic reactions include excema, asthma, food reactions etc etc.. HTH