Curves?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
Has anyone done Curves? I am looking for something new to try and was wondering if this would suit me. I am usually a walker but its just so dark and we end up not going in the evening. Curves would be on my way to or from work.
jezabelle Posts: 607
I did it for a few months and it was okay, i loved it for the 1st 2 weeks and then it was so boring, I also found I sweat more when I go out for a power walk then in curves, you'd give it loads and you just didnt get alot out of it! I dont think it's enough of a work out for me, If you read the small print you have to do there diet which is kind of like weight watchers, if you actually want to lose a good bit of weight, You will loose a bit on the machines alone but I found it was mainly water I lost!!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Curves is grand for those just starting a resistance programme but as you become a bit more toned you may want to leave and join a gym as you can't increase resistance. In fact as you lose weight resistance goes down as it is your own body weight that sets the resistance level. They also do light cardio in the circuits. SO if you are a beginner then yes, I think it's great to ease you into a fitness regime. They measure your weight, fat percentage and body measurements too so you get to see the whole picture instead of just numbers on a scales.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
Are there any bootcamps near you? You would get much better results out of one or a circuit class etc!
MrsWoggle Posts: 1793
You name it I've done it when it comes to looking for quick fixes to my weight problem. Ya I didn't think it was great tbh. I didn't stay at it for very long mind you but it bored me & I wasn't seeing results the way I do from other forms of exercise. The main reason I quit though was that the times didn't suit, it was only open Saturday mornings for a couple of hours and didn't stay open late enough at night, but if you can go on the way home this won't be an issue for you.
Thanks for the replies girls. I used to go to the gym regularly when I lived in Fermoy and was there nearly every morning. I loved it. I have joined two gyms up here and left both. The first became too awkward when I started working because it was far too out of the way and petrol costs were an issue. The second gym was nearer home and I was delighted to have found it but it was a real body builder gym and I felt awkward there. I'm fat, as in size 18/20 but I love exercise. When I find something that I enjoy I do go for it. I couldn't walk a few years ago because of a back injury and the gym went a long way towards fixing me along with physio. I miss it but can't seem to find somewhere I like. Walking is ok but I want to push myself. Money is also a concern so anything too expensive is a no no. I was thinking of signing up for a 6 week blast at curves and then that could motivate me back into a gym that I would like.
I'm sure you can go in and do a trial run before committing to it & see what you think. With all I said about it, my cousin swears by it & another girl at work did it too and liked it so while it's not for everyone, it might suit you down to the ground. God I wish I loved exercise!! Fair play to you!!
jezabelle Posts: 607
When i joined curves you had to pay about €125 up front joining fee and then €40 or €45 per month, and if you leave there is a 30 day notice period. It is a circiut training and you have 30sec on a machine and then jog on the spot for 30 sec and so on so on for 30 mins, id have loved if i could have done 5 mins per a machine!! (thats very much not allowed)
[quote="jezabelle":1lr5jkuw]When i joined curves you had to pay about €125 up front joining fee and then €40 or €45 per month, and if you leave there is a 30 day notice period. It is a circiut training and you have 30sec on a machine and then jog on the spot for 30 sec and so on so on for 30 mins, id have loved if i could have done 5 mins per a machine!! (thats very much not allowed)[/quote:1lr5jkuw] Apparently there is no joining fee for the first 25 people that join in January at my local one. Only problem is that I was hoping for a 6 week block to see if I like it - I have seen that advertised elsewhere - but they are not offering this at the moment.
When I joined I just paid by DD and cancelled it when I was sick of it. You could cancel it after a month or two if you didn't like it.