Customs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

candlequeen Posts: 991
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, I'm expecting my dress to arrive in the next few weeks and I'm probably going to get charged customs fees - that's grand, but on the practical side, how do you pay the charges? I rarely keep cash on me at home, do you have to pay the postman/courier or can they give you a bill to pay at the post office? If they do give you a bill, will they hold the dress until it's paid or what? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I just have absolutely no idea.
Salamanca Posts: 34
Hi Candlequeen! I had the exact same worry and I emailed first customs and then on their advice emailed the delivery crowd. I left my details and then I got a phone call saying I had vat and customs duty to pay. I was able to give them my credit card details over the phone and it was handy enough! Salamanca
sarahstrikes Posts: 214
Whenever I buy something online and have to pay customs, I usually have to give it to the postwoman. I know a friend had to pay the postman/delivery guy before they could get their dress. Its quite common now so the postal staff are used to it.
candlequeen Posts: 991
Thanks a million girls, I'll keep an eye out for when it's dispatched and put a few quid away here for the postman. Had visions of a courier coming, me having no cash, and the dress going back to the supplier! :o0 Thank you x