cutting down caffeine

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Woodstock Posts: 1565
hi all, GP mentioned yesterday to cut down caffeine intakes and limit tea or coffee to max 2 cups a day.. So i went out and bought decaf tea and coffee so now I'm just wondering what else I need to cut down that has caffeine.. I love pepsi and I always have a glass with my dinner, i guess that's off now is it? I don't eat too much chocolate so I'm ok on that side.. what else contains caffeine that I should be aware of? Thanks! :thnk
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
I didnt worry about the caffeine in chocolate. I cut out coffee and tea (went onto decaf tea instead), but I now have a couple of cups of regular tea in work as I keep forgetting to buy the decaff stuff!
fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
I craved pepsi max and the caffeine free stuff is not the same. You are allowed up to 8 glasses a day and in fairness I like the way baby moves after it. I could easily drink 2 litres. I would not bother about it in chocolate either.
newone Posts: 1714
:eek My GP said that drinking up to 5/6 cups of regular tea a day was okay. But I still changed to decaf tea and only drink the regular stuff a couple of times a day at work or when out. I am not worrying about caffeine in chocolate and don't drink coke or pepsi.
knockedup Posts: 225
Caffeine is caffeine; it doesn't matter where it comes from. It still has the same effect : Tea Coffee Chocolate Coke/Pepsi Red Bull Hot Chocolate While there is no conclusive links to say it influences fertility it has been linked with both infertility and miscarriage. Enough of a risk for me to cut down to one cup per day (from about 4!) [url][/url]
LoveACuppa Posts: 296
I really love my one cup of coffee a day, but it can send my blood sugar screwy, so I'm trying to give it up...the body is willing, but the mind...!!! ;)
09Dreams Posts: 260
Just thought I'd add what I heard about decaf coffee, not sure how true it is but heard that it's bad cause there are loads of chemicals in it! I've pretty much given up coffee & switched to de-caf tea, do have the odd regular tea when I forget the de-caf.
If you look at one of those links in my reply, there are two methods of extraction : water and solvent (methylene chloride). FSA has approved the use of methylene chloride for caffeine extraction, so I guess it is safe. Though weak tea is only about 50 mg of caffeine so not much of a difference. From what I have read, guide is to stay below 300 mg of caffeine per day which is one large cup of starbucks type coffee or 5-6 cups of weak tea. Hope this helps. :wv
If you look at one of those links in my reply, there are two methods of extraction : water and solvent (methylene chloride). FSA has approved the use of methylene chloride for caffeine extraction, so I guess it is safe. Though weak tea is only about 50 mg of caffeine so not much of a difference. From what I have read, guide is to stay below 300 mg of caffeine per day which is one large cup of starbucks type coffee or 5-6 cups of weak tea. Hope this helps. :wv