Dangers of reality TV - X Factor

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bun in Oven Posts: 241
[url:2cq2zp93]http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/x-factor-entrant-resorts-to-surgery-to-progress-424948.html[/url:2cq2zp93] Poor girl. She seems to hang on every word Cowell says. I love X Factor, but I hope this makes Cowell think a bit more about how impressionable some contestants can be and then maybe then ease up on the cruel remarks.
Salander Posts: 1639
I think its far too easy for mentally unstable people to get on these shows. and a lot of the judges have no idea how their remarks can really affect these vulnerable people.
jellywellies Posts: 2268
to be fair, simon doesnt make people change their appearance - he just gives his opinion. Its entirely up to them what they do after (IMO!) i :lvs simon!!
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote:1chp0kqb]to be fair, simon doesnt make people change their appearance - he just gives his opinion. Its entirely up to them what they do after (IMO!) [/quote:1chp0kqb] +1 Life is harsh guys- the girl obviously has bigger issues than a comment from Simon Cowell- although granted his comments were not nice. If someone said that to me- yes I'd be a bit pi%%ed off but I would not be even tempted to have surgery etc..
scotswedding Posts: 2829
I heard that girl speaking on the radio the other day and she sounded like a very sweet though very impressionable girl. I find her comments on that article particularly sad where she says that after he nearly wrecked her life he has now taken away all her insecurities because he said she was now a good looking girl.... It's not just in cases like this, I just think it's sad in life in general when people only think they look nice or well because other people tell them. I have one friend like this who is absolutely gorgeous but she needs, not just anyone but a man, to tell her that she is gorgeous. Then she "believes" it. I do think they have far too many mentally unstable people on shows like that though and it's purely for the ratings. They once allowed Paula Abdul's stalker on on American Idol. She ended up killing herself in front of Abdul's house. Not blaming the show for that btw. It's just awful that they allowed someone like that on...
hassig Posts: 900
Its so sad, things have become so shallow,
jellywellies Posts: 2268
[quote="scotswedding":1icqv2po]It's just awful that they allowed someone like that on...[/quote:1icqv2po] Do the show know people's life history?
MeSB Posts: 3785
Tasha86 Posts: 23
Yeah well to be honest I don't think Simon meant to cause as much stress to the girl as he did. He was quite apologetic from what I hear when he discovered what he did. However you have be a strong person to audition in front of the judges, getting past the producers is the hard part though. My sister tried and failed :( ...didn't bother her too much though as she had built herself up for the bad news.