David McWilliams again...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nelly Posts: 1875
the generation game last night - what did you think? anyone from Mullingar/ Kentstown /Ongar care to comment??
clucky Posts: 26471
[quote="nelly":2wwf2wxa]the generation game last night - what did you think? [b:2wwf2wxa]anyone from Mullingar[/b:2wwf2wxa]/ Kentstown /Ongar care to comment??[/quote:2wwf2wxa] didnt see it what did he say ? :eek
Loopy Loo Posts: 1774
Couldn't stomach it - his voice irritates me more than Eddie Hobbs, and I found the first 5 minutes cheesy so switched to even cheesier Hells Kitchen :o0 :o0
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
hate him , he was on newstalk on the way to work was he commenting on the commuter belt ?
nelly Posts: 1875
the arse will fall out of it and the good times are over... he had an example couple from Kentstown and they were commuting and feeling the pinch (SUV in drive) and an actor portraying a singleton driving her beetle and haveing to hand it back and waiting at the bus stop.... google his name as its all on his website, all doom and gloom.
Mrs Snove Posts: 1611
I'm sick to death of that fecker with his continuous doom and gloom talk. He won't be happy until he has the whole country talked into a recession O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| >:o(
halo Posts: 1406
eh, he's not talking the country into a recession, that's not possible, he's only pointing out the writing on the wall, which has been obvious for at least the past year to anyone who cares to keep tabs on current events and developments, it was obvious even well before the slowdown in the property market last Autumn and the current climate of closures and redundancies, and the disastrous effects the sub-prime market in the US would have on the rest of the world's banking (see Northern Rock's current upheaval for the tipping point in Europe). The trouble is Irish people think we're somehow special and the universal laws of economics don't apply to our magical little nation- the Irish prefer to insist that all is well while the economy crumbles around our ears instead of accepting that a boom is always followed by a bust of some sorts, and making some efforts to try to limit the impact it will have on all our lives.
Moet for me Posts: 1841
No he is not going to be the sole reason things change in the economy but he loves being the harrbinger of doom. It drives me mad because he says it is all bad, all bad, all bad and then puts this little caveat onto any statements he makes suggesting this might happen, you know that get out of jail card so he can back track down the line and say he wasn't wrong he was just giving one (very biased) opinion on what will happen. I don't think there is any balance in his program. I am unsure as to what will happen, fundamentally he has a point that are economic strategies are flawed we need to keep up the industrial and high level manufacturing jobs but he never states the other obvious points in his programmes. For example India and China are new key players but have you ever seen the roads in either of these countries, in India they have women working the road works all over the place manually fixing up potholes, carrying out mad working practises roads half opened half closed. In addition corruption in some of these countries interferes with the transportation of products from factory to port and club that together with some dubious spoken English which is generally the language of business it gives Ireland some edge which is an advantage still even in the no doubt tough time ahead. Next look at the housing market in Ireland, we have one of the highest house ownership rates in the world, that will never change, it is in our pschyce we can't help ourselves being more comfortable owning our bricks and mortar. This surpasses almost any other country in the worlds home ownership and also our postponed marriages to later in life means that instead of just a couple buying a house in their early 20s 2 people are buying houses until they are ready to move in together so there is no a demand for 2 houses for a man and a woman where as in the past there would only have been one house bought at the same stage in life, that is a feature of the change in times. We are not the same as any other country in the world and we cannot be directly compared with any other country. When McWilliams is presenting possible outcomes I believe he is being unbalanced in his views he could present a broader picture that would give his ideas but I guess that is the nature of economists and they have been wrong for the last 10 years so maybe it is their turn to be right.
daboy Posts: 229
[quote="Moet for me":3ed1prb9]No he is not going to be the sole reason things change in the economy but he loves being the harrbinger of doom. When McWilliams is presenting possible outcomes I believe he is being unbalanced in his views. He could present a broader picture that would give his ideas but I guess that is the nature of economists and they have been wrong for the last 10 years so maybe it is their turn to be right.[/quote:3ed1prb9] To be fair, he is an economist who makes his living from presenting a certain message by selling books and appearing in the media. By keeping his message concentrated (and LOADED with soundbites) it makes it easier for the man on the street to grasp what he is on about. Of all the economists in the media, 99% of them are working for banks or the government. When interest rates were rising, these people said over and over again (wrongly) that the interest rates wouldnt rise any more. Whilst McWilliams is selling books by being overly negative, the banks were keeping their business brisk by staying positive. Sure if the banks were all doom and gloom would they sell any more mortgages? Nope. All is sunny and bright and people will lineup and continue to borrow voraciously. Who knows what might happen over the next year, but I prefer to look at McWilliams' predictions as being a counterbalance to the equally biased opinions of the Banks, rather than a scaremongerer.
noc Posts: 1802
Good poets [b:29060v0l]Moet[/b:29060v0l] but it was a really annoying programme all right - though compelling to watch nonetheless >:o) He's such an eejit the way he s3xes his presentation of ideas up so much in sometimes very corny ways. But it's amusing. I agree re the poooooor married couple in meath. I mean, they had SUV as someone else said already AND the size of their house! It looked pretty big to me. A house like that in Dublin would be a LOT of cash! So I don't feel sorry for people like that with their long commutes. They made that choice. They've only one kid. they don't HAVE to live in a house that size and if they really want to buy rather than rent they could have got something smaller closer to the city for the same price most likely. I mean, my dad had a good job and my mother was stay-at-home as was the standard at that time. They rented for the first few years of their marriage. nowadays some people seem to want it all and forget that ALL young people have to struggle a bit and compromise in the beginning. Spoiled if you ask me. The people I DO feel sorry for are the ones living in tiny houses/ apts very far out cos that's all they could afford but then they [i:29060v0l]could[/i:29060v0l] always have stayed renting. But that's an argument for another day. The majority of rental accommodation and enforcement of tenants' rights really isn't up to all that much in this country and until they make major and possibly unpopular (with landlords) reform in this regard, long-term renting really isn't secure or all that viable here. Rant over. :o0