Death penalty

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ellefun Posts: 1312
Would you be in favour of the death penalty? If so, in what circumstances? I would never vote for it. I feel the legal system is too fallible. I don't see why a jury needs to even see the defendent. I think it leads to assumptions by people i.e. jury members being swayed because the accused seemed impassive or overly emotional. People can't helped but be influenced by appearnaces - even if the person is only put on a front. Cases should be about cold hard facts. I also feel there is a real possibility of an innocent person being wrongly convicted and put to death. That is a huge error that can't be undone. As much as I can turn into a Daily Mail-esque person when I read of certain barbaric cases , like Baby P, and think "hanging's too good for 'um"..." I do believe justice shouldn't be about vengeneance. For me justice is punishment and a hope at rehabilitation. I would want to learn why people do what they do...
eefc Posts: 1201
There is another thread about this somewhere where I voiced my opinion- went on for days as OP decided my opinion wasn't correct! Against it but for the reason that I think its a way out of things for serial criminals. Life imprisonment is much more fitting as punishment.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
Oh, I'm so much against the death penalty that it makes me angry even to think about it. It's never ever ever justifiable, IMO. The potential for errors is one reason, but even if every conviction were 100% safe I still don't think the state ever has the right to put somebody to death in cold blood. It achieves nothing, is more expensive than prison, and feeds a desire for vengeance that, to my mind, is really unhealthy. No, not ever, no.
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
Life imprisonment is a much better solution (as long as life means life). The state has no right to take the life of another person and since most capital punishments are for murder how is that setting a decent example? It's ok for the state to murder but not for you.
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
I am totally against it. I just think taking a life is taking a life and no one has the right to do that (I think assisstant suicide is different but that's another topic). I do think though that life in prison should mean life.
R2theB Posts: 1660
[quote="Flower Girl":2zhp0ikb]Oh, I'm so much against the death penalty that it makes me angry even to think about it. It's never ever ever justifiable, IMO. The potential for errors is one reason, but even if every conviction were 100% safe I still don't think the state ever has the right to put somebody to death in cold blood. It achieves nothing, is more expensive than prison, and feeds a desire for vengeance that, to my mind, is really unhealthy No, not ever, no.[/quote:2zhp0ikb] Came on to say pretty much the exact same thing. I'm totally against it. Remember the Troy Davis case last year? An innocent man put to death. Disgusting! And America has the gall to call itself the leader of the free world, an awful place with a, mostly, awful justice system.
Ellefun Posts: 1312
America has a bizarre attitude to 'justice'. I'm open to correction but as far as I know Texas have been known to convict, senetence to death and carry out the death penalty on people who in other states would be deemed intellectually disabled. Justice should be colour blind also. It's just an empty attempt at a blanket solution that doesn't actually solve any problems.
hestia Posts: 2368
That Werner Herzog documentary 'On Death Row' is being shown on Channel 4 over three weeks. Each follows a separate inmate as far as I know. Caught the first one last Thursday (I think, best check that). Unravelled the tale of one guy's journey backwards from crime scene to death row to his stay of execution and his current challenge to the state for withholding evidence. A fascinating study of an articulate and good-humoured regular Joe from the South who managed to flesh out some idea for the viewer of what it's like to be on death row. Second part on this week. Definitely worth catching.
Littlebo Posts: 2598
Thanks Hestia for that, definitely going to watch it.
HippyChic Posts: 1812
I'm undecided. Some days I'm as abhorred by the idea of the death penalty as the rest of you, other days...I think it's not such a bad idea. There are some people in the world that don't deserve to share air with the rest of us, their callousness making them almost sub-human. We put vicious dogs down and I would view these "people" as being as much an animal as a dog is TBH. How to distinguish them from normal people is the problem though and therefore I'm undecided, as I said already.