Death sentencing

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

katief Posts: 1900
Just got me thinking from another thread. Do you agree with it? It'd be nice to hear valid arguments for and against, without resorting to "the bastard deserves to die". What objective reasons have you got if you support it, and likewise if you're against.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
Against. I am of the belief that no person has the right to take the life of another for any reason.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Don't agree with it. Killing someone for committing a crime is not acceptable, no matter what he or she has done.
[quote="StupidSexyFlanders":unjmskp3]Against. I am of the belief that no person has the right to take the life of another for any reason.[/quote:unjmskp3] +1 I also am of the belief that it's not up to us, or a luxury we have to decide on ending someone's life.
libramoon Posts: 2402
Death is too quick and easy. I don't believe there is a god so if there is no hell after death then the person never suffers for their sins (a lethal injection that you don't feel and that ends your life isn't suffering to me). A life time in jail is a way better option.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I’m very torn on this one TBH. In essence I don’t support it for 2 reasons: 1/ There are so many miscarriages of justice and it’s possible that an innocent person might be killed for a crime they did not commit. 2/ I have issues with taking someone’s life. Have you ever watched an American programme where the victims or victim's family will go and watch someone being executed? I just find that horrific. To sit and watch while someone is being killed and to get pleasure from it almost makes you as bad as they are. However, I have heard of some cases where I think “that person doesn’t deserve to live”. Cases where someone has raped and murdered children for example- why should we keep them alive? How can they ever be trusted in society again? Why should we pay millions to keep these people alive in jail when there are children starving and people living on the street? It just seems wrong that there are such evil people in the world and we are paying for their life when that money is desperately needed for others.
[quote="ReginaFalange":25mpm5gh]I’m very torn on this one TBH. In essence I don’t support it for 2 reasons: 1/ There are so many miscarriages of justice and it’s possible that an innocent person might be killed for a crime they did not commit. 2/ I have issues with taking someone’s life. Have you ever watched an American programme where the victims or victim's family will go and watch someone being executed? I just find that horrific. To sit and watch while someone is being killed and to get pleasure form it almost makes you as bad as they are. However, I have heard of some cases where I think “that person doesn’t deserve to live”. Cases where someone has raped and murdered children for example- why should we keep them alive? How can they ever be trusted in society again? [b:25mpm5gh]Why should we pay millions to keep these people alive in jail [/b:25mpm5gh]when there are children starving and people living on the street? It just seems wrong that there are such evil people in the world and we are paying for their life when that money is desperately needed for others.[/quote:25mpm5gh] But on that point, it costs more to sentence a person to death than it does to keep them in prison for life. We've all heard of heinous crimes, and they are indeed evil and sickening, but does that still give us a right to end someone's life? How can we teach that killing is wrong by killing ourselves? It just defies logic.
[quote="StupidSexyFlanders":2eicf03j]Against. I am of the belief that no person has the right to take the life of another for any reason.[/quote:2eicf03j] did you not say on the kitten thread that you would kill someone who did this to you pet? :o0
Tangled Posts: 24
Completely against for so many reasons; - Proven not to work as a deference - High risk of executing innocent person - I believe it's morally wrong - Too "easy" for some people (although I do agree the emotional torture of being put to death would be quite substantial) - Punishing family members more than the criminal in my belief - Financial cost to the state is massive
[quote="katief":31gaimt0][quote="ReginaFalange":31gaimt0]I’m very torn on this one TBH. In essence I don’t support it for 2 reasons: 1/ There are so many miscarriages of justice and it’s possible that an innocent person might be killed for a crime they did not commit. 2/ I have issues with taking someone’s life. Have you ever watched an American programme where the victims or victim's family will go and watch someone being executed? I just find that horrific. To sit and watch while someone is being killed and to get pleasure form it almost makes you as bad as they are. However, I have heard of some cases where I think “that person doesn’t deserve to live”. Cases where someone has raped and murdered children for example- why should we keep them alive? How can they ever be trusted in society again? [b:31gaimt0]Why should we pay millions to keep these people alive in jail [/b:31gaimt0]when there are children starving and people living on the street? It just seems wrong that there are such evil people in the world and we are paying for their life when that money is desperately needed for others.[/quote:31gaimt0] But on that point, it costs more to sentence a person to death than it does to keep them in prison for life. We've all heard of heinous crimes, and they are indeed evil and sickening, but does that still give us a right to end someone's life? How can we teach that killing is wrong by killing ourselves? It just defies logic.[/quote:31gaimt0] Does it? How much does it cost to kill someone v’s keeping them in jail for 60 years? I’m not saying it’s right. I’ve mixed feelings on it…