Decorating a Choc Biscuit Cake

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsOC2012 Posts: 595
Hi All, Looking for some advice from any experts out there!! I'm making a large chocolate biscuit cake for my niece's communion this weekend. I've done this loads of times before and just decorated it with choc buttons / smarties / hundred's & thousands. I want to make this one a little special but putting a message on it, e.g. her name with a picture of a chalice or something. The only thing is that I'm brutal at writing with icing so I was wondering would it work if I got the ready-roll icing and cut out the shapes would this work (her name is luckily only 5 letters)? I've never used the ready roll icing before but I think it would look better if I cut out the letters etc and stuck them on, rather than trying to write with icing or lelted choc... which invariably ends up all different sizes and like a toddler was let loose with a piping bag! :-8 Appreciate your help! MrsOC
April13 Posts: 635
Cut the letters out of the ready to roll surely!!!! it will be lovely!!!! Yummy yummy chocolate biscuit cake!!!! I :heartbeat: it"!!!!! :) Just make sure u put a good dusting of icing sugar on cutters b4 going near the icing because they will only stick!!!! Hope this helps!!!! :-8
Thanks MrsDuffy2b!! I'm decorating the edges as well so won't have time to do it all before the choc cools. Would it work ok to decorate the edge while the choc is still soft. Then maybe dot the underneath of the letters etc with more melted chocolate so make sure they stick? Thanks, MrsOC
Meggi Posts: 383
I know these recipes have been posted before but MRSOC2012 would you mind posting the recipe for your large choc biscuit cake? I plan to make a couple of large choc biscuit cakes to go with a few batches of brownies for the evening of our wedding and I've never made one before. Most of the recipes I've seen are for smaller cakes so it would be handy to have the correct quantities for a bigger one. Thanks.
MrsAtobe Posts: 1158
Chocolate biscuit cake should stay tacky when you take it out of the fridge so the letters should easily stick to the cake without anything other than the tacky chocolate mix itself.
Meggi - Really sorry (and I'm going to sound like an Arse) but the recipe is actually a long-kept family recipe I got off my best friend, only on the condition that I don't share it. It's the nicest recipe ever but I can never tell anyone, not even my mam :o0 It's actually really annoying because I get roped in to making them for every occasion :hyper: Dafydil - The cake will be covered in milk chocolate before the iced letters goes on so I would need something to make sure it sticks. I think the melted choc should do the trick.
MrsAtobe Posts: 1158
Yeah a small bit of milk choc melted so, or just put them on before the milk choc covering sets.
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
Is that pre-made choc cake covering you can buy in the shops nice? Am eating biscuit cake I made on tues eve now. Tastes nicer a few days later!
Daff Posts: 11644
made one for dd1's second birthday. You can either cover with nutella or use vodka and put the pre rolled icing over it. This will give you a lovely white canvas to work off of? I think piped lettering on using pre made icing pen but I'd say you could also use stencils. I bought pink and purple icing too that was ready made and just had to roll out. Good luck!
Meggi Posts: 383
Post by MrsOC2012 ยป Thu May 10, 2012 11:53 am Meggi - Really sorry (and I'm going to sound like an Arse) but the recipe is actually a long-kept family recipe I got off my best friend, only on the condition that I don't share it. It's the nicest recipe ever but I can never tell anyone, not even my mam : Not to worry, I'm just being lazy. Good luck with the decorating.