Dentist while pregnant?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Roxanne Posts: 3201
Okay, I know I'm jumping the gun here, as I am not yet pregnant (to my knowledge anyway!) but here is my dilemma: I have an appointment with the dentist on Friday for a crown. Should take about two hours, which I would imagine will involve some fairly heavy duty drugs. Friday is also the day I plan to take a pregnancy test as AF is due on Thursday and I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed.... so IF it's good news, and I get a BFP, what should I do about the dentist? Should I cancel? Or just tell him? Or what? Is it possible to have dental work at any stage during a pregnancy? And if I am pregnant, I'm not sure I would feel great about telling the dentist before my Mam or any of my friends! Not to mention this is a smallish town and I wouldn't want the word out until I was ready.... any advice would be appreciated!
ginger nut Posts: 5989
if you are having dental work and might be pregnant you should tell the dentist esp if drugs/xrays are going to be involved. he can then make an informed choice of what drugs to use etc. He'll also be able to discuss with you the pros/cons of deferring the procedure. Also he is a professional and isn't going to be blabbing your secret to the rest of the town.
charli Posts: 5994
hi there - i am 6 weeks pregnant had a check-up when i was on 2 ww, and was told i needed a filling, was booked in for the following week, day before the appointment i got my BFP so i postponed until i asked GP, anyway forgot to ask GP so rang the surgery the other day and receptionist said no x-rays during pg (i didnt need one) and avois fillings for the first trimester - so i am holding off until after scan i think you should ring the practice, to be safe
Thanks girls - my appointment isn't until two so I guess I'll know by then and can give the dentist a call first. I know dentists are professionals so I suppose I didn't really expect him to go gossiping all over town - it's just a very friendly sort of practice and every time I go in the receptionist, nurse and dentist are all full of chat, asking after my husband and so on... I just couldn't imagine any way of telling them discreetly! Here's hoping I'll be postponing my crown on Friday anyway...
GAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I cracked and did a test yesterday... negative. :o( But still no period. So just to be on the safe side I rang the dentist this morning and told him there was a remote possibility I might be pregnant and asked if I should cancel the crown just in case. So he starts congratulating me (he's a nice man) and I'm like No! No! I don't know if I AM yet, it's just too soon to know for sure I'm NOT. And he says 'Well, obviously I don't know how you feel about the whole thing, but it won't affect the crown. Now mind yourself'. JESUS!!! Is there no way to try and do this whole ttc thing privately?? Now I have to spend two hours in a dentist's chair with a dentist who a)Thinks I'm pregnant and b)Thinks I have mixed feelings about it... As I said before GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!