Menu

depression

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

meowwww Posts: 295
A friend of mines housemate seems to be suffering from depression, she has been like this as long as we have both known her but she is getting more worried and finds her very difficult to live with. She has zero confidence thinks shes a completet looser and takes everything personally and to heart. She is afraid to raise the subject with her in case she falls out with her or leaves. Has anyone been in this situation before or know how to approach this?
aston Posts: 4100
I havent been in this situation but does your friend know any of the housemates friends, family etc. Could she approach them and tell them what is going on? Maybe if your friend did approach the housemate she might be lonely and relieved that your friend is there to talk about it... sorry cant be more of a help
meowwww Posts: 295
she has a distant relationship with her family they arent open and she only goes home when she feels she has to so thats not an option, maybe she should just come out with it and hope for the best?
micksmrs Posts: 931
My ex suffered from depression, we went to see a GP (if in Dublin can give you the name) and she helped him with medication. It was initially only for a short period to see if they helped. They did, after a few months he was weened off them (he later decided that it was much better for him if he was on them). He had a chemical imbalance and the medication helped him. It wasnt anything like Prozac or one of those god awful ones that zombie people. There have been great medical changes in the past few years. The GP was very helpful and explained about his thinking and how the paths in his brain werent working properly and this was why he felt the way he did. He was not at all keen on the medication but she was brilliant at explaining the benefits and the fact that it was short term not long term just to help his brain balance up his thoughts. Good luck with your friend. It is difficult to live with a person suffering. It takes its toll and it is not easy regardless of the relationship you have with them. :wv PM me for the GP's number if you want it.
graceface Posts: 3632
hmmmm, it's a toughie alright - you probably feel like you're walking on eggshells in terms of trying to approach the subject, really. What I would say is to try and take the concerned approach, rather than trying to be too prescriptive, IYKWIM? Start by just asking her how she's feeling, you never know, she could be just waiting for someone to care enough to ask her. She will more than likely not say she's feeling great, so if she seems to be reluctant to give a positive answer, ask her is there something wrong - try and pursue the subject a bit. If you can get her to open up herself about how she is rather than having to drag all the information out of her with 21 questions, you'll probably get a better result and she's less likely to be offended. Though that might be hard, I understand :wv if she seems to be a bit ashamed at the thought of suffering from depression, maybe give her an example of someone you know who has benefitted from treatment, and give her hope that things don't have to continue this way. Hope is probably the one thing she is really lacking, TBH. Best of luck :thnk
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
It is a gamble. But from someone with manic depression, I'd say that your friend should sit down and talk to her. The girl might get angry, but at the same time it could be such a relief for her. She probably knows she's not been feeling right, but maybe is in a sort of denial. This could be the one thing she needs to get her going to seek help. Now, if she does leave, or falls out with your friend, that's not your friends fault. It may well happen. But your friend will have done all she can do, and she can't be taking responsibility for her either. Best of luck with it. It's a tough one.
Riona Posts: 11
She should definitely talk with her housemate. Depression is a terrible thing to suffer from, something that I've heard you can never really get away completely from.... you just learn to deal with it better. Someone once described it like a little black dog that is always following you around you know its always there..... I think the real issue is the stigma associated with admitting you have a mental illness, its like somehow people think its ok to be a diabetic and take medication for it everyday but its not ok to suffer from depression and take medication for it everyday. I don't get the distinction- Anyway just my tuppence worth, let her know that somebody cares....