Dessy dresses online - size on tag in shop query!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bubbles100 Posts: 48
Hi Girls Have found the BM's dresses and both loved it - just wondering about sizes though - the tag on the dress in the shop said "Made in China" - "Size 8" - Im assuming this is a US size 8 (so Irish size 10). Both are around a size 10 ish and the dress fitted them both perfectly. Have any of you based your order online on that basis? I was thinking of ordering the US size 8 as it saves me €200. The sizing charts on the net dont really help as the dress is not super fitted and I think they would suggest a bigger size possibly as both have decent sized boobs but given the style of the dress - there is plenty room in that department! Heres the link http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/2748/ Thanks a mill
excitedbride11 Posts: 76
Hey bubbles100, can't really help you with your query but i too took bridesmaid to try on dessy dress. BM is a UK 10 and the dress in the shop said size 12 but it was abolsutely massive on her had to be clamped in i'd say was 2 sizes too big. if the US sizes are apparently one smaller than ours this means she would be a uk 14 which i know isnt right! wasnt sure what way they were sized then :-8
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I've ordered Dessy dress for my bridesmaid as well and she after she measured my sister she wrote US size on order form. My sister is prob about a size 8 and from what I can remember a size 2 was ordered.
Thanks Girls Excitedbride11 - thats probably about right if the dress ur BM tried on said size 12 and thats a US size, it would be a UK size 14 so if shes a size 10 then ya makes sense it was too big. Mine said size 8 which Im assuming is US as the girls are defo more of a 10-12 so the US size 8 is a UK 10! Think Ill go ahead and risk it!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for a mill
Ceersie Posts: 307
Ladies if you go on to the dessy website there is a size guide and it tells you that they operate in european sizes. I ordered mine from Dessy and got them in an 8 and 14 which is exactly what sizes the girls are. your best bet is to measure them and stick to the size guide. HTH
Ceersie Posts: 307
sorry its not the dessy website that has the size chart. I ordered mine from houseofbrides.com and it gives the size chart and states that the designer use the english standard system for all measurements and sizes!!
handtwins Posts: 866
Just wanted to let you know that in general a US size 8 is NOT equivalent to a UK size 10! A US size 8 is a UK 12 US 6 is UK 10 US 4 is UK 8 I can't comment on dessy sizes, but just wanted to let you know that so perhaps you can double check before you order. I am a UK 8 and I wear US size 2 and US size 4 clothes.
Thanks girls - its really weird though the size on dress said size 8 and if thats UK size then they must be very big fitting because as I said the BM's are more of a 10-12 and no way are a size 8! My thoughts were that the dress was a US 8 and it fit perfectly so Id say that was either a UK10 or a UK12 so I would need to order a US size 8! Might have to go back to the drawing board unless someone on WOL has any feedback on the sizes that they ordered etc. Just a bit of a pain coz that size 8 was perfect on both of them!! O:|
Well a US size 8 is a UK 12, so perhaps your girls are really a 12? So it would make sense that the dress they tried on is really a US 8? You should take the girl's measurements and compare them to the dessy size chart :thnk
this should help http://www.rkbridal.com/Fitting/SizeCha ... fault.aspx