DH snoring - please help!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

naughty nuptials Posts: 517
Hello all and congrats to all those who just got their BFPs, those who are rocking through their 2nd trimester, and those who are impatiently waiting the birth of their little ones! :wv Sorry if this question is a bit banal, but I'm hoping you can help - my DH snores. I mean really badly. I wear ear plugs every night. How does that work when you have a baby? I guess I can't wear ear plugs? Does that mean DH gets kicked out to the guest room every night and I have to deal with nighttime feeds all by myself?? And yes, he has tried losing weight, acupuncture, sniffing oils, everything. Nothing works :o( If anyone can at least sympathise with me, I'd really appreciate it! :lvs NN xxx
Newme2013 Posts: 704
I can totally sympathise with you cos my DH is the same!! I know I am sleeping very lightly at the moment (worring about my little bean)so I don't know if he has always been this bad but it just seems to be for the last couple of months. I haven't tried earplugs yet - do they work?? At the moment if I can't get back to sleep, I am sending him to the spare room!! Have you tried that Spray called SILENCE? They're supposed to spray at back of throat, sometimes it works for my DH but not always
oooh gaga, try earplugs, I can't live without them!! some people find them uncomfy (foam ones are better), but for me it's that, or not sleeping... I'll look into that spray - thanks for the tip. good luck with your baba - those first few weeks are such a worry, but try and enjoy it! :wv NN xxx
Daff Posts: 11644
I use the foam ear plugs, always have and kept using them when DD was born. I can still hear her but it tones down the 'baby' noises she makes and DH's snoring. Babies are REALLY noisy!!! It's unbelievable!!! TBH when DD was born I was up every 2/3 hours and was such a light sleeper listening for her - mummy instinct kicks in - that even with the ear plugs DH got kicked to spare room, for quite a while too. Even now he'd spend the odd night there if DD was having bad night. Now I'm pregnant again I'm exhausted and DD's been waking every night so I've kicked him out again - starting to really like it on my own :-8
Gingham Posts: 3014
dh snores soooo loud and it has got worse since ds came along, I think its the tiredness which has made it worse...ds slept in the room with us until 20 weeks and it didn't seem to bother him, he was brilliant sleeping in the first few months... it bothers me though, I spend half the night nudging him onto his front..it is sooooo frustrating...
MrsDarcy Posts: 805
Oh girls, add me to the list - dh snores like a trooper However, I've noticed that he only snores when he smokes - if he gives up the cigarettes, even for a few weeks, I notice a big change in him. So until he decides to give them up for good (which Im hoping will be before the bubs arrives) I have to put up with it. Tho at the mo Im up all night pi$$ing like a racehorse anyway so I can't blame him much for my lack of sleep :o0
happyfamily Posts: 3323
You should ask him to speak to his GP to make sure he doesn't have sleep apnoea or anything like that. If you've tried lots of stuff you should maybe speak to your dentist. I know it sounds weird but you can get a mouthguard that holds the lower jaw slightly forward. This keeps the back of the throat nice and open so you don't get snoring noises. Some dentist do anti-snoring devices. They have to be custom made though
Wife09 Posts: 873
Yea my DH is a pain in the butt for snoring, found it worse when I was pg as I was awake more when I was pg, I make sure to get asleep before him, he'll generally wake me at least once during the night so then I wake him and keep nudging so he stays awake and I get back asleep. Its been easier since baba has come along as Im tireder and sleeping better than when pg.
Hi Ladies, Thanks for the replies - glad to hear I'm not alone (but also sorry to hear you're also going through the same sh**e!) Happy Family - DH does have apnoea, and a deviated septum, and spetal spurs (years of rugby playing + broken noses), and will need an operation to sort it all out at some stage, which he is desperately trying to get out of! :duh: Daffodil - that's exactly what I was hoping someone would say! I've heard babies make all sorts of wierd noises in their sleep, so it's probably not a bad idea that I filter them out and just focus on the big screams! :o0 It's such a pain isn't it? Especially being denied sleep at a time when you probably crave it so much. One of these days, I swear I'm going to record his snoring because he doesn't believe he does it! O:| Hugs to all! NN xxx