DH time off

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

downwiththissortofthing Posts: 113
Hi, I'm due very soon, and myself and DH aren't sure what to do about his time off. He doesn't have loads of days to take so we're wondering if he should go to work for the days that we're in hospital after the baby is born, and then take any days he can when we come home. Does it make any real difference if he works while I'm in hospital and just visits in the evening?? Or do those of you who have done this before think that it is better if he is around? Thanks!
chicam Posts: 1169
Hi, I haven't done it before but am in a similar situation to you - DH has just started a new job so doesn't have much time off at all so we decided he should work right up until the day I go into hosp, then depending on what time the baby is born at and how long I have to stay in the hosp that he should go to work (providing he's had some sleep!!) and just visit at lunch & evenings and then use his days off for when we're home. Thats the idea anyway, in theory it may not work because if I've the baby in the middle of the night and he's been up all night if he leaves the hosp the best place for him is home to get some rest really.
Ferdi Posts: 704
Hi Ladies, from experience would say you'd appreciate it more when they're off when you're at home. There'll always be someone who'll want to come and visit you in hospital and at home you can get DH to keep them away :o0 :o0 , F :wv
jess08 Posts: 481
i agree with Ferdi!! :wv
justwaitin Posts: 2462
best to use what days he has to take them when ur at home you will need him most than.
july7812 Posts: 1787
Def get your DH to keep his days off till you get home - you'll need more help there than when your in hospital. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy :-8
deem Posts: 710
I agree with the rest, he may have to take one day, the day after baby born, depending on the time of day baby is born. But otherwise you will probably appreciate the help at home more. Just be flexible though, it may be rough for for first night in hospital too, my friend recently had baby and she wanted hb to mind baby during day in hosp so she could get some sleep. Hospital very noisy at night and baby very unsettled. I think main thing is to be flexible and be prepared to tell all and sundry to stay away from hospital for first day if ye feel like it.
downwiththissortofthing Posts: 113
Thanks a million girls, I was thinking that would be the most sensible way to do it, but you never know not having done this before! I'll give him his orders so!