Diarrhoea in pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Arianna Posts: 26
Hi girls, I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I've had a bout of constipation/diarrhoea and cramps. From one extreme to the next. I was just wondering if any of ye had the same and if you know of anything you can take for it. Thanks
silíní Posts: 4219
I've had diahorrea on and off during pregnancy, it could be part of your general stomach upset in early pregnancy, but maybe mention it to your doctor in case you have a bug. Make sure to drink lots of fluids and small portions of carbs such as cereal/toast.
sherbetlemon Posts: 927
Hi Arianna, Yes, I've been suffering from this too. I'm 5 weeks gone and my toilet habits have changed dramatically over the past couple of weeks. The diarrhoea has eased off a bit but yesterday I did three no. 2's :-8 I'd normally be lucky to do that amount in a week :o0 I did some googling and it said that people's bodies react different to pregnancy and alot of women get constipated, where as some women are the opposite. Hopefully its a good sign that things are literally all systems go for us in there! :wv
Lemon8 Posts: 367
I'm the same as Sherbetlemon. Thank God you are all feeling the same. I am almost 5 weeks. Looking forward to sharing our stories of cramps and scans and all the lovely pregnancy talk over the next 8 months! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
LauraS Posts: 192
What a relief - I've had (mild) diarrohea since about 2 DPO and am now 6 weeks gone. I suppose it's better than constipation!! I haven't had any nausea or sickness yet - fingers crossed. Am eating really well so not too worried. x x x L
baby peanut Posts: 810
I was the same. It's stopped now *) I think you just hear more about constipation as its probably more common.
bridalnowmam Posts: 2202
I had really bad diarrahoea just before i found out i was pregnant Thankfully it has passed now but the doc says to be careful as you can develop piles from it if it gets out of hand My advice would be to watch your diet and go to the doc if it persists :wv
delgirl Posts: 1706
I have altered between diarrhoea and constipation throughout pregnancy - sometimes I have swayed between the two in a day and I just don't know how that is possible. My doc said it is normal enough and I have kinda gotten used to it now.
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
I had terrible diarrhoea for first 8 weeks.. Doc took a urine sample just to be sure all was ok and it was fine.. it eased off but now I go from one extreme to the other all the time. :-8 :-8 Always check with your doctore but more then likely just part and parcel of the whole experience!!! :o0 :o0 :wv