Did anyone fly in First Trimester?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wonderwife Posts: 463
As the title suggests has anyone flown or asked Dr about flying in first trimester? I have just found out I'm pregnant again after a MC and we have a holiday to the canaries booked for when I'll be around 10 weeks. Given my previous MC is this risky? I didn't think I'd be caught again so soon! Anyway I've read conflicting advice online so I just thought I'd check here and see what all you Wollies say? I'm thinking that if it was a real risk everyone would know about it and that if most MC's are due to a genetic problem a flight won't cause that. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance?
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I flew at about 16 weeks. My consultant advised that it's perfectly safe to fly in pregnancy. GO on your hols and enjoy! Congrats on your pregnancy.
Doozer28 Posts: 881
It's perfectly safe to fly as far as I am aware. Go & enjoy yourself!!! You're only restricted from flying in the last couple of weeks & I think that's just in case you go into labour or something!
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
I flew long haul (2 flights each way) at 9 weeks and short haul 2 weeks later in this pregnancy. I hadn't flown at all when I had my MMC. It's so so hard because you'll spend the few months worrying and second guessing yourself but I think you'll probably benefit far more from a relaxing break that any possible negative effects.
Water-girl Posts: 88
I flew at 8 weeks after my doctor told me it was perfectly safe. I had a MMC a few months beforehand so was nervous but she said the break would do me good. I'm so glad I went now as it was my last holiday abroad before babs arrives. I did make sure I had health cover etc in place though just in case I had to use a hospital abroad.
blueboots Posts: 833
I flew at 9 weeks on this pregnancy and 14 weeks and 17 weeks on previous pregnancy. Perfectly safe. I even ran it by my doctor beforehand.
quartz Posts: 446
Tomorrow I'll fly for the fourth time and am 18 weeks pregnant. All short flights, max 3 hours. I've also miscarried previously where there was no flying involved.
wifetob Posts: 936
Congratulations! I flew at 6 weeks on my first pg and at 16 weeks on my second. First trip was for work and I checked with my Gp first to make sure it was ok as I wasn't sure. So I'd say you'd be fine but you could check with your gpmjust to be sure.
DaisyB Posts: 1708
congrats!! i flew at 8 and 9 weeks doc said to me that there was no risk at all.. enjoy!!!
1Bighappy Posts: 57
Hi Wonderwife, I flew at 10 weeks pregnant- to Germany and back and everything was fine. As far as I know the only issue is when flying in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy. Congrats on your pregnancy and enjoy your holidays. :lvs