Did anyone nt attend GP and just visit the hospital?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

August 2009 Posts: 46
Hi Girls - Sorry in advance for the long post, As you may know I had a m/s last year. When I started to spot went to my GP (Friday) he examined me said it was a threatening MC go home and rest come back tomorrow (charged 65€) went back on Saturday, no examiniation took my pulse and said he didn't think I was actively bleeding go home to bed come back monday (Charged 65€) went back monday told me I should go the the hos for a scan, gave me a letter (charged me €65). I got my BFP about 3 weeks ago and last week had flu like symtoms etc so thought to myself kill 2 birds with 1 stone, get advise on what to take and get pg confirmed. Anyway along I go with my sample in hand and when I finally get in to see him, tell him i am preganant and feelin lousey he writes a prescription for the flu and tells me he is too busy to do the "anti-natal" stuff now and come back next week and we will confirm pg :ooh . At this stage now I am fed up paying him - If i go back this week I know I will be charged another 65€ for something he should of done last week! I have called the hospital this morning and made my first appointment and am now wondering weather to just deal with the hospital and not bother returning to the GP or maybe even change to another GP - What do you think?? Thanks :xox
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
Thats crazy - my gp is a money grabber but any time i had a m/c i was never charged - that's scandalous - when i went into my gp with bleeding she still got me to fill out the combined care card that covers you for free GP visits. Either say it to him that you not paying him for visits when pregnant or change GP. Best of luck with pregnancy. He sounds like a [email protected]
August 2009 Posts: 46
Thanks girls, Just to clarify - do I not pay for any visits once pregant?
keyra Posts: 801
Your GP visits are free while you are pregnant and for first 6 weeks after delivery. Your GP does sound like a money grabber though. Its important to visit your GP during pregnancy as your hospital visits wont be very frequent and your blood pressure, babys heart beat etc need to be monitored. I have to go to my GP every week at the moment as i have borderline high blod pressure. Perhaps you should look for a new GP.
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
That's desperate - I wouldn't have given him the money. At my clinic you pay the secretarys in a seperate office so from ay one I would just walk out without paying! Any chance you could do the same. What a f*cker. I would say it to him about all the money charged so far too!
Elegance Posts: 2848
congrats on your bfp :o)ll like you, i'd had a mc previously, and for me wanted to just see my consultant, as opposed to doing combined care. i've found it an amazing comfort, seeing my cons every 4 weeks and being scanned every 4 weeks.... think i would have been a basket case worrying otherwise. however, when i told my gp that i was going this route, my gp suggested i still sign up for combined care, that way if i needed to see her at any stage, i wouldnt' be charged. during the 36 weeks today, i've only had to see her once and i wasn't charged.... so maybe, sign up combined care anyhow? as for your gp, and the appalling way he treated you .... I'd really consider getting a new doc. Is there any other alternatives for you in your locality? its so important to trust you gp..... and yours doesnt sound very nice.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
I did just hospital care. I was going privately and we were paying 4k so wanted to get as much for our money!! After doing just consultant care its the way Id def do it again. I saw my cons about every 4 weeks at the start and that just increased the further along I got. I got scanned everytime and it meant one person looking after me not a cons and a gp. Plus I just find gp's fob you off with either an anti-biotic or a sick note or both, have very little faith in them! Best of luck with everything and hope all goes well for you *)
Mammy101 Posts: 446
[quote="Elegance":zhch9j6d]my gp suggested i still sign up for combined care, that way if i needed to see her at any stage, i wouldnt' be charged. during the 36 weeks today, i've only had to see her once and i wasn't charged.... so maybe, sign up combined care anyhow? [/quote:zhch9j6d] [b:zhch9j6d]DO NOT sign-up for combined care if you have NO intention of actually doing combined care with your GP.[/b:zhch9j6d] Your GP ill-advised you to do this - as she gets money from the HSE for every combined-care patient... even if you NEVER visit her! Because you haven't availed of her services as a 'combined-care' patient, then she is getting that money for FREE! So, of course, she encouraged you to sign-up for combined-care even though you chose to see your consultant exclusively.. I'm sure dollar signs were lighting up in her head. TBH, I too am seeing my consultant exclusively (not doing combined-care), and any pregnancy-related ailments I have, I can go straight to him with... and no need to see the GP. If I wanted to do combined-care with my consultant, then he'd charge me €300 less in fees, as effectively that's what the GP is being paid from the HSE... August2009 - it's fair enough that your GP charged you €65 for your INITIAL consultation with him, in regards to the m/c. However, for the subsequent visits you made to him, as a FOLLOW-UP on this initial visit, he shouldn't have charged.... and if anything, should have at least given you a referral letter for one of the Maternity Hospitals, should a m/c be inevitable... at least this letter would confirm with the hospital that he had attended to you, and what advice he had given. As for your latest visit and wanting to confirm your BFP (congratulations btw!!), I would have stayed put in his office until he confirmed the pregnancy. Who gives two-hoots if he's 'too busy'... you're paying him €65 for his services... it shouldn't matter HOW long it takes for your consultation to conclude (I CAN'T believe this guy TBH, what a wally!). If you're going back to the GP later, to confirm your pregnancy, and he tries to charge you - I'd flat out refuse, on the grounds that you wanted it done at your last appointment, and he was 'too busy'... so you're not going to pay him extra just cos he can't manage his time. If he doesn't like it - then just NOT pay, walk out, report him to whoever governs GPs, and find yourself a new GP - cos that guy is crap. >:o(
Piggle Posts: 1770
What an absolute money grabber! I would complain him to! That is like stealing! My GP charged me for going in with flu like symptoms!! And he even turned away as he asked for it, knowing that he shouldnt!
Elegance Posts: 2848
[quote="olshue":2xw4pn0n][quote="Elegance":2xw4pn0n]my gp suggested i still sign up for combined care, that way if i needed to see her at any stage, i wouldnt' be charged. during the 36 weeks today, i've only had to see her once and i wasn't charged.... so maybe, sign up combined care anyhow? [/quote:2xw4pn0n] [b:2xw4pn0n]DO NOT sign-up for combined care if you have NO intention of actually doing combined care with your GP.[/b:2xw4pn0n] Your GP ill-advised you to do this - as she gets money from the HSE for every combined-care patient... even if you NEVER visit her! Because you haven't availed of her services as a 'combined-care' patient, then she is getting that money for FREE! So, of course, she encouraged you to sign-up for combined-care even though you chose to see your consultant exclusively.. I'm sure dollar signs were lighting up in her head. ([/quote:2xw4pn0n] I can see exactly where you are coming from Olshue... so many angles to look at. However, in my case, I didn't feel that with my GP. She's been a huge support to me throughout ttc etc and really feel that she was just saying, if i needed to see her at any time, in between consultants visits, then i would be covered. i'm sure that there are gp's out there though that are mercenary! its worked really well for me, as at the moment, i'm on sick leave, prior to going on my maternity and in our gp's surgery, just getting a social welfare cert costs €20! thats not seeing gp, just having cert filled in by receptionist! but i'm not being charged, as i'm on their books as combined care.