did anyone react badly when you announced your pregnancy?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
Morning girls. I am just wondering did anyone react in a negative way when you announced your pregnancy? Did you get "with the recession do you not think its a bad time to have a baby"....."was it planned"......"how can you afford a baby now"??? We are expecting these questions from our family and this is taking the shine off telling them. My parents in particular are paranoid about the lack of money we have - worse than us!!! Its driving me up the wall and I know when we announce our news the reaction wont be great. I suppose Im hoping you girls can come up with arguments we can make when this is thrown at us......apart from saying "mind your own business, this is a baby, you should be happy for us". Id like to think Im being paranoid but DH is in full agreement with me.
Greece Posts: 1800
People are gas, you will always get someone who cant just smile and say how happy they are for you. Your answer should be as follows: "If we were waiting for the right time to have a baby, we would never have one" and thats the truth of it to be honest, There is never a good time. You will never get to the stage where you have enough spare cash lying around to be able to afford it (well, most people wont). Its the same for everyone and chances are your parents gave birth to you during the last recession when they had no money either :o0 More than likely when you tell them they wont say anythign negative like that because they will be so pleased but if they do, be ready and prepared so that it doesn't upset you, thats the last thing you need. Good luck and congrats :babydust:
sparklybabe Posts: 3353
i reacted v badly when my friend told me she was expecting again i was upset that i did afterwards though
thanks so much for your advice. We have our scan booked for June 19th and then are going to announce. With our son it was all excitement but this time we feel like we are going to be critised. I wouldnt change my mind about this baby for one second but I suppose the thought of peoples reaction is hanging over us a bit. It would be lovely for everyone (or at least our parents) to be happy for us. I had to tell my brother recently and he was happy but said "God, dont tell our parents if you are having any money problems - this will push them over the edge". I just thought - oh god here we go. I wouldnt mind but i tell them nothing if I cant avoid it at all. Sometimes they push us to go to family events and we cant afford to go and after days of pressure I end up saying "jesus will you just get the hint - we cant afford to go". And then there is the panicing and worrying. Im too sick and tired these days to be dealing with it all and as the time passes and we get closer to telling them I suppose its more fo a dread now...and thats terrible
marriedLife Posts: 1881
First of all congratulations!!! Don't let them take the shine off it - even if they do react badly give them a week or two and they will be really excited. If they say anything negative I would say something along the lines of "Ah people now adays think you need this that and the other to have a baby - all they need is love and care".
Greece Posts: 1800
[quote="sparklybabe":wd3vf1w9]i reacted v badly when my friend told me she was expecting again i was upset that i did afterwards though[/quote:wd3vf1w9] Why did you react badly?? Did you have a reason?
infertility :o( but i did feel awful bout it i felt i had taken her moment and made my issues part of it iykwim
sparklybabe - Im sure she understood if she knew what you were going through
yeah she did but i still felt awful. hate how infertility changes you into this jealous person, its really awful,sometimes i find myself in shopping centres etc just looking at all the prams and bumps and forgetting what im actually doing. this isnt me and tbh i resent it. i hate being the friend that my friends have to tiptoe around when it comes to children and issues around them. hate the fact that my friends cant moan about their pregnancys etc
have youf ound WOL helpful in anyway over on TTC?