Did/Will you find out gender?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Drummerswife Posts: 3497
Just wondering how many people want to know the gender before the baby is born. What were your reasons behind your choice. We don't know what to do (if all goes well). I think it would be handy to know but then also it would be nice to have the surprise and once its healthy I don't really care.
digsy Posts: 1257
Never found out before and didnt this time either. I personally think it ruins the suprise but hey everyone is different on this one. Some people find out and tell everybody (have seen a few on FB recently) and others find out and tell nobody, its a completely personal decision that you both need to be happy with. Good luck in deciding.
jamseyjo Posts: 1132
Didn't find out with my little lad but if we're lucky to conceive again we will.
bobby2012 Posts: 644
I found out both times and am going to find out on this one as well. I personally don't get the 'surprise' element, sorry, to me finally seeing our baby is all I need for excitement. Neither me or my husband could hold off knowing for 9 months and besides, knowing the gender and naming the baby was vital in bonding with him/her for us. Especially when we're taking to him/her or about him/her, we'd have found it very difficult to refer to our baby as 'it' or 'baby'.
MrsPositive Posts: 1548
I agree with digsy, there are few things left in life that are beyond our control and whether your child is a boy or girl is one of those things, I love the fact that we dont know what we're having it makes it all the more exciting on the day finally announcing whether we have a boy or girl. Everyone is different of course, but its just one of those things that we want to keep special on the day!
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Yes I found out and would again. It's as much a surprise when they tell you at the scan and I just don't see the point in waiting to find out with we have the technology to tell. Each to their own though- you have to do whatever you're comfortable with.
katiemomma Posts: 2690
I didn't find out on our first but did when we were having our twins. We won't be finding out this time. Coming from me it made no difference on the so called surprise! It was still such an experience and an exciting time. Finding out or not finding out does not make a difference. Also it didn't make much difference on being able to prepare. We had a girl the first time so anything we had bought was neutral or yellow and all presents were pink. Then when we had the twins we had one of each and didn't buy much in pink or blue again as we needed neutral items for them to share. It's a personal thing I suppose.
Drummerswife Posts: 3497
Thanks all for replying. Katiesmomma yours was especially helpful having done it both ways. Have plenty of time to decide anyway was just wondering what general consensus was.
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I didn't find out on last two and won't this time either. Just love the surprise on the day and all the guessing during the pregnancy! For me it had no impact on the bond I didn't need to know what sex the baby was to bond with him/her. It's a truly individual thing as you can see by different peoples responses!!! Good luck whatever you decide!!
bluepolkadots Posts: 1237
No we didn't find out at 20 week scan a few weeks ago when we could have. Kept changing our minds back and forth whether or not to... DH's analogy on it was - do we wnat to know what our Christmas present is before it's Christmas? Baby is due in April but you know what I mean! That swayed me in the end, plus the anticpation might keep me going in the end if LO is late etc!