Did you all have an engagement party???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

murralm Posts: 607
Hi ladies Im in the midst of my wedding planning and loving every minute of it.When we get married we will be engaged 2 years but we didnt have an engagement party.There just didnt seem a good time to get everyone i wanted to be there together(as my mates are in london)We did get lovely cards and gifts.Is this strange or are there many of you that didnt have one either??
mcd08 Posts: 425
Not strange at all I know lots of people (including myself who didnt have one) have to say they can appear like an excuse for getting lots of presents, but they can be nice if people are having a long engagement. I wouldnt worry sounds like you've had a nice time, dont worry too much about what everyone else does. :wv
Psycho Sue Posts: 1875
[quote:319qk2v8]Not strange at all I know lots of people (including myself who didnt have one) have to say they can appear like an excuse for getting lots of presents, but they can be nice if people are having a long engagement. I wouldnt worry sounds like you've had a nice time, dont worry too much about what everyone else does. [/quote:319qk2v8] I second this. We didn't have one and I don't regret not having one! Just gives us more reason to look forward to the wedding!
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
I had half a one and had murders with H2B's sister cause she was plastered and went mental at everyone :o0 :o0 :o0 , your not missing out if you don't have one
Angel! Posts: 1494
Hi :wv We had an engagement party. We got engaged in January 2006 and had one a couple of weeks later. We didn't expect any presents. TBH, I didn't know that people gave presents at engagement parties and was shocked that we got a few. I'm glad we did it cause it gave us a chance to share our excitement with our friends and family. Plus H2B's brother was over visiting, so it was a good chance to have a party for him too. We also announced our date at the party...
Roz Posts: 588
I had no engagement party either. Had a few drinks at home the day my h2b proposed but no big party. My sister got engaged a few months after me and she didnt have one either. :xox I didnt see the need for one.
cloud Posts: 1662
We had a party a few weeks after we got engaged!! We didn't expect pressents or anything but everyone gave us really fab gifts!!! It was a brilliant night and Im delighted we had it!!! :xox
Bubski Posts: 1785
We didnt have one - reason because all of our friends are all over Ireland and it would be hard for everyone to get there and also we couldnt be bothered organising it. (very lazy i know)
Heebie Jeebies Posts: 608
We didnt have a party as such. We got engaged on a Thursday and just told our friends & family we'd be in our local on the Saturday night and everyone who was around or able to be there, turned up. Ended up being a great night!
anonymousbridetobe Posts: 1563
we didn't either. H2B's parents wanted to throw one for us, but we didn't want it and instead just said told mates we would be in the pub if they wanted to join us. Worked out well, had a great time and don't regret not having a party.