Did you all take Iron?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BONSER Posts: 82
Getting mixed comments on taking iron, do you really have to take it?
Christmas B Posts: 6191
I used to take ooodles of stuff and the chemist lady, who was pregnant, said to cut out everything and just take folic acid!! Gosh, maybe I should be taking other stuff............????
Ducky Posts: 2506
I have never taken it, but did take Pregnacare all along, which has low doses in it and drank buckets of freshly squeezed OJ, which helps iron absorption. My levels never went below 12 (they recommend iron if below 11 apparently) so I chose not to take it as was concerned it would make me constipated.
Tigletts Posts: 2904
My Dr. said to keep things simple, just to stick to the folic acid until my first visit at the hospital and then they'd see if I needed to take anything else.
Miki Posts: 309
i was told to take it by my consultant so im taking it, i dont know if i really need it. i eat very healty but im just doing what im told. Makes me really constipated though. im 25weeks now, when are you supposed to stop taking it?
bellabella Posts: 2750
Keeping it simple for now just like Tig
corkrebel Posts: 744
My GP had advised that she felt that I did not need it as my iron levels were grand but when I was last with my consultant, the midwife stated that she felt that I should be on the iron... so mixed signals.... but i have held off and will ask my GP again next week but I have been holding off as I have been suffering from constipation and dont want to make it worse.... O:o)
EVIE78 Posts: 687
I did not take it until I was about 36 weeks , went my bloods went a bit low. I took then until the my baby was 6 weeks. I took it a night cause it can make u feel sick.
luigi Posts: 867
I had to take it at 30 weeks as I nearly collapsed while out driving and was getting a bit dizzy but didnt take anything til then. I wouldnt take it unless your blood tests suggest you need it. I didnt need it again after the birth at all.
Cowslip Posts: 761
Nope. I haven't been for a hospital appointemnt yet though either. I hope I won't have to go on it as I don't want to make the old bowel situation any worse.... :eek