didnt shake hands!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dancerformoney Posts: 2733
anyone see where Wayne Bridge didnt shake John Terrys hand in the line up before their match today??!! i find it quite controversial and honestly, could have been for the camera that was stuck iin both their faces BUT i suppose Terry is lucky he didnt get a punch!!
havemovedon Posts: 2013
I saw it and I thought it was hilarious! Bridge kinda looked like he might shake his hand, then he pulled back and Terry was left looking really awkward. Personally, I think Wayne Bridge is mad to rule himself out of the World Cup over this. It's the WORLD CUP, the biggest competition a professional footballer could ever hope to play in. All he has to do is keep his mouth shut, plaster on his professional face and get on with the job. He can always punch Terry's lights out after the competition. :o0 He'd broken up with yer one before she shagged Terry. I dunno, I think it's all very princessy behaviour - he's supposed to be a professional. Do any of us take our personal lives into work and pull out of work-related things because of our love-lives?
PrettyWoman Posts: 1233
[quote="rioja":1kbzb7lb]I saw it and I thought it was hilarious! He'd broken up with yer one before she shagged Terry. I dunno, I think it's all very princessy behaviour - he's supposed to be a professional. Do any of us take our personal lives into work and pull out of work-related things because of our love-lives?[/quote:1kbzb7lb] Bastar*ds just scored. I don't know about above, I wouldn't be surprised if it was carrying on while they were still together but then we will never know. I understand why he's not going to the world cup, In years to come he will regret it but it must be very tough on him personally. Have to say Chelsea fans are scum, booing bridge and cheering Terry when touching the ball. And slagging bridge off when he takes a throw? Pure knackers. My oh says, soccer is a gentlemans game played by thugs and rugby is a thugs game played by gentlemen
Princess Mom Posts: 304
I have to say this really made me laugh the coverage it got on Sky News comparing it to historical handshakes through the years from political leaders. I know it has repercussions regarding the world cup team etc but there are over 70 people confirmed dead in Chile from an earthquake and Tsunamis expected around the pacific ring of fire as a result and Sky news are obsessed with a handshake.
[quote="PrettyWoman":1txfjaj1] Have to say Chelsea fans are scum, booing bridge and cheering Terry when touching the ball. And slagging bridge off when he takes a throw? Pure knackers. My oh says, soccer is a gentlemans game played by thugs and rugby is a thugs game played by gentlemen[/quote:1txfjaj1] Often trotted out but untrue, looking at eye-gouging, stamping and spear tackling in rugby. There have been rugby players caught up in some unsavoury incidents off the pitch too. I'm not a Chelsea fan but wouldn't call them pure knackers based on the pantomime booing of some. That's all it is, panto.
randomusername Posts: 2134
I think Brudge was right not to shake his hand. To my eyes Terry has shown no remorse for his actions. Bridge has a child with the one he had an affair with and their relationship as parents has suffered a blow and that will impact on the child. I also don't recall bridge courting the media the way some footballers and partners do so maybe the intrusion on his life is a lot to take also?? As for him not playing in the world cup, no one even knows if he was going to be called up and there are many other players that can be used. I think in time he will regret it but personally if it were me I would do the same thing. If I was expected to train along side someone who'd shagged my H, every day as well as have team talks, tactics, coaching, team dinners and share a hotel with them, there isn't a hope I would do it. If it was just a case of 90 mins on the pitch every now and then, fine but its not. They are required to make team appearances and have huge amounts of training together. Also can you imagine Bridge sitting there watching Terry pounce off with his family after everything that's happened?? I think he has avoided a situation where he exploded, there was rowing/fighting and one or the other sent home throwing the team into turmoil. Of the two I feel Bridge has been more professional. In saying that, not a fan of either or either team.
[quote="Watermelonbelly":1z266b9w] As for him not playing in the world cup, no one even knows if he was going to be called up and there are many other players that can be used. [/quote:1z266b9w] The other left back is Ashley Cole.... he's out injured and may not be fit for the World Cup. I can't understand how a so-called professional cannot separate home and work life, don't we all do that every day for a LOT less money?! Just thinking, I had a relationship with a work colleague that ended very messily. I put my head down, got stuck in and ended up being promoted twice in three years. Certainly didn't walk away from a good job because my personal life had been screwed up.
serenity Posts: 3675
[quote="rioja":17k2b0l3][quote="Watermelonbelly":17k2b0l3] As for him not playing in the world cup, no one even knows if he was going to be called up and there are many other players that can be used. [/quote:17k2b0l3] The other left back is Ashley Cole.... he's out injured and may not be fit for the World Cup. I can't understand how a so-called professional cannot separate home and work life, don't we all do that every day for a LOT less money?! Just thinking, I had a relationship with a work colleague that ended very messily. I put my head down, got stuck in and ended up being promoted twice in three years. Certainly didn't walk away from a good job because my personal life had been screwed up.[/quote:17k2b0l3] I hear what you are saying and I agree with a lot of it, but it's not always that easy... As the other poster said they will literally be together for 24/7 for a month or so between pre world cup training camp and the whole time in SA... I think it would make for a very awkward camp and put a horrible tension in the squad.... I feel bad that it is Bridge that feels he should step down, but Terry would never even contemplate that - he is way too cocky for that.. Also, I think it is fair to say that they were no longer in a relationship together (Bridge & Vanessa), but still... In fairness, they have a kid together, were together a long time and I just don't think it's on..... And as another poster said, who knows how long it was going on... It's a very tough situation and I don't think it's black or white... I know a lot of posters say, but they are professional and they should just deal with it - but they were also best friends?!?!? How would you deal with your best friend shagging your hubby or whatever the case may be... I think it's hard to judge that situation unless you're in it... On an aside, Chelsea fans behaviour is deplorable... Don't boo Bridge?? What did he do wrong? and even if they accept / forgive Terry, why cheer him? I mean, come on, how childish is that... Anyway, City 3-1 up now so maybe that will put the smile on the other side of their faces.. But hey it is Chelsea and they could still come back....
Surfbaby Posts: 396
Think he was dead right not to shake his hand. Wayne Bridge was still in a relationship with his partner at the time of the affair. So I think he has every right not to shake his hand or have any respect for the man. I know it may not be the reason they split up but I still think it must be awful hard for all this to come out now especially all that has come out since. I feel sorr for him that he is not available for selection for the WC but can see why he made that decision. As for the Chelsea fans sporting soothers in the crowd today to mock Wayne Bridge. A disgrace. Considering what happened as a result of the affair. Very inappropriate.
molly moo Posts: 363
I think he was right not to shake hands, I most certainly wouldn't shake hands with the man/woman who shagged my husband/wife regardless of cameras in my face or not, I don't think it appeared unprofessional at all, yes we keep our personal and professional lives separate but we don't have paps outside our doors watching our every move and reporting on every aspect of our lives, Wayne Bridge did not ask for all the attention he fell victim to it through his supposed best friend John Terry who brings the attention on himself with his disgraceful carry on! That's my tupence worth anyway! :wv Team Bridge all the way for me :wv