Menu

Diet for Building Muscle/Losing Fat

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

x_x Posts: 1823
At a bit of a WALL on the weight loss. I've lost 2 stone but have another half a stone to reach my dream weight. Have lost a pound in the last 3 weeks! Have been in the gym 4 times a week & my diet is verging on angelic! O:| O:| Just can't seem to lose anymore weight, have been doing some research online re what diet I should follow to build muscle/lose fat & its all a bit confusing. I know muscle can't turn into fat...but what should I do? Do I ditch the weights/Pilates & concentrate on running to lose the extra half a stone but alot of sites say that by doing this you will lose the muscle tone you have built up? I know muscle burns more calories....but how much muscle do you have to build before it does this? So confused!!! **Edited - after posting this I found this online...interesting read for those who are in the same situation!! http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/gain.htm
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
OK, do you want to lose weight or lose inches? Because believe it or not, you can lose weight easily.. don't eat, get dehydrated. Boxers skip and sweat to lose pounds in a very short time to make weight before a fight. You could be 9 stone and a size 14 or 10 stone and a size 10. You'd be surprised at how heavy some athletes are, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the scales. Weight training burns more calories and for longer than cardio. In fact when you're sitting on the sofa after weight training you are still burning calories. Your muscles need to 'repair' themselves afterwards, so they keep working long after you've finished training. I could write a long response here, but I'll keep it short and simple. Before you go to the gym eat some carbs. In the gym - Do a 5-min warmup on the bike. Do weights for 25 mins. Not light weights, challenge yourself. If you can finish a set easily enough the weights are too light. AFTER weights do cardio. Interval training is best but any cardio that gets you breathless and sweating helps. Your diet - Eat more protein, less sugar. Avoid any sweetened cereals and breads. Try to eat 'clean' foods as much as possible. Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol. Alcohol wreaks havoc on weight loss.
Cheers Lois....am fixated on 9 stone for some reason? I'm a size 10 now and I don't think I'd drop to a size 8 or anything with that weight but I just want to get to it...still feel I have a belly even though I am doing Pilates & alot of core work. By interval training - is that do weights & then a short interval to fat burn like 5 mins or so? Was thinking of cutting out any sort of weights for a week or two & concentrate on diet & cardio & after I have lost another few pounds, then go back to weights?
You really need to separate weight loss and losing a belly. You can hit that 9 stone and still have a belly.... To be honest, I think you should get the weight fixation out of your head. Concentrate on your shape instead. Interval training is best explained here http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html I don't understand why you would stop using weights for a week or two?
babydoc Posts: 313
Lois, i tried your interval regime yesterday and Wow! I can feel every muscle fibre today! usually do cardio for 45, 50mins then weights maybe two or three times a week, so aerobically very fit, but cant shift the 4 pounds permanently around my middle... after yesterday am definitely going to go with the interval training!
[quote="corkbride09":26ejglaa]Lois, i tried your interval regime yesterday and Wow! I can feel every muscle fibre today! usually do cardio for 45, 50mins then weights maybe two or three times a week, so aerobically very fit, but cant shift the 4 pounds permanently around my middle... after yesterday am definitely going to go with the interval training![/quote:26ejglaa] Good for you! Interval training can be hell on earth but it works!
Service Finder
[quote="Lois":24jn4q45] I don't understand why you would stop using weights for a week or two?[/quote:24jn4q45] I read somewhere that if you want to break through a weight loss plateau, if you abstain from weight training for 1/2 weeks and concentrate on pure cardio - it "shocks" your body into losing fat?? That's more than likely a myth - I was of the "fat turning to muscle" myth brigade for ages until you put me straight on here a few months back. Thanks for that on the interval training!
Lois - the lose belly fat one is brill!! Thanks so much...just had a read there now...will be printing this out in work tomorrow. corbride09 - which one did you do? I was gonna start at week 3 of the lose belly fat one. Lois - sorry for all the questions, you would recommend then that weights followed by interval training? Thanks again.
chaos Posts: 1904
buggser im going to try this too! ive a belly that wont shift either!!
[quote="chaos":257whr8g]buggser im going to try this too! ive a belly that wont shift either!![/quote:257whr8g] Great - I'm starting tonight...was saying it to H2B & he said if I sprint the width of a GAA pitch that should be my 30 seconds over and back. He thinks it'd be too difficult to do on a threadmill, as this was my original plan after my weights session - what do you think?