Different baby girls names (irish)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nciara20 Posts: 110
girls any suggestions for irish girls names...something different...having baby girl and really need ideas have searched irish names on inet but nothing different coming up!!tanx gals!! :xox :xox p.s any suggestions welcome doesnt have to be irish! :wv :wv :wv
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
A few rarer Irish names: Órnait Ailbhe - more common for boys though can be used for a girl Étaín Macha Cobhlaith Non Irish Adeline Connie
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
ornaith,niamh, aisling, fiadh, aine, ailish,eimear,roisin :wv not an irish name but my dd is Olivia x
Delphinium Posts: 3027
One I have only heard recently is Laoise and I really like it. I also like Caolfhionn or it's English equivalent Keelin (it means slender (caol) and fairhaired (fionn)). I see "Ornait" here (I presume pronounced "Orna") but I would be more familiar with it spelt "Odharnaith" which looks more grammatically correct to me, as the "th" is silent in Irish spelling. "Ornait" pronounced in Irish would not have a silent "t" IYKWIM. Ailbhe is a lovely name - I've never heard it as a boy's name though! Reiltin is gorgeous too - meaning "little star". Very cute!
Emomc Posts: 2069
My fav is Síbeal (fada may well be in wrong place!). Its pronounced Shay-vale. I would love it but I just think people would never get the spelling/pronounciation esp with the B in it, and might call her Sybil :ooh . Its Irish for Isobel. My Mum is a native speaker and is always raving about these "makey up" Irish names and certainly I think a lot of them have appeared recently, but each to their own! My sisters name is Rosha or it can be spelled Róise. Its Irish for Rose. She tends to spell it the Anglicised way as she was forever getting Rosie when she was young. I think it is a very pretty name, as is the name Aoibhin but it has gotten very common in my area in recent years. Also heard Saorlá (free day I assume) recently which I thought was nice. Maolíosa is also one I like. Heard Fodhlá and Doireann recently but Im not too keen on these
wideeyed Posts: 254
Sorry, dont mean to be correcting people but Sibeal (sorry no fada on iphone-its on the e) is pronounced Shib-ayle, the b is not soft. I'm a native irish speaker and know a few girls with this name too! Ceibhfhionn (again,fada is on the e) is nice imo. I have recently heard Aifric too and love it. Just since you asked for unusual ones!!
ZZZ79 Posts: 437
Sorry to butt in here but I have a question for u native Irish speakers if that's ok??? I'm wondering if there is an Irish translation for the name Ava ???
snowbear Posts: 2107
[quote="fortycoats":2lsmh08x]Sorry, dont mean to be correcting people but Sibeal (sorry no fada on iphone-its on the e) is pronounced Shib-ayle, the b is not soft. I'm a native irish speaker and know a few girls with this name too! Ceibhfhionn (again,fada is on the e) is nice imo. I have recently heard Aifric too and love it. Just since you asked for unusual ones!![/quote:2lsmh08x] +1 . also while it's not a translation, eabha is pronounced Ava
pinkframe Posts: 628
I love - Croía Fiadh Saoirse And one I made up recently....Alaoise >:o)
queenmama Posts: 418
Spelling may not be correct & fadas will certaintly be missing!! But the most unusual Irish girl names I have heard are Doireann, Beibhinn, Etaoin, Aifric. Wouldn't be keen on any of them myself but they may hit the spot for you!