Dinner Party Ideas?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Italy05 Posts: 63
Hi Girls, Need ideas from you all..... Will be cooking dinner for 6 people plus ourselves - so 8 in total - in a few weeks time and need some ideas for main courses. Will do some nibbles, so no starter needed, and am sorted on the dessert. Just need ideas, for something easy to do fo the main course... All help greatly appreciated! Thanks, Aisling.
AGuest Posts: 1262
We're doing the same! It's hubbys birthday in a few weeks so we're having a dinner party for 8 (including us!). We're having a goose for main course. I'm baking a birthday cake for dessert....but I'm stuck on a starter (want a cold starter preferably one that I can prepare in advance).
MarieB Posts: 556
I find the following very handy to make, and you can serve them with rice/new potatos/salads ect Stuffed turkey breasts wrapped in parma ham - make a pocket in the turkey breast, and stuff with bread mixture, wrap a slice or 2 of parma ham around the breast, and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins. (you may want to place some tin-foil over the breasts for 15 mins, to stop the parma ham from getting too well done). You could substitute the stuffing mixture for cheese & tomato. Salmon fillets - place 1 salmon fillet in tin foil, poor 3-4 tbl spoons of white wine on top of the salmon, top with a bay leaf and some chives, make a parcel with the foil, and bake in the oven for about 20 mins. HTH
Italy05 Posts: 63
Hi Mrs Gina, Why do we do it to ourselves! What about a warm chicken salad for a starter? That's a nice and easy one to do. Or take the easy option and go for nibbles like me! Hope all is well with you and you're enjoying married life. Thanks, Aisling.
Mae Posts: 229
Mrs Gina For a cold starter i'd go for a prawn coctail, if someone doesn't like prawns use chicken instead, its lovely. or A good aul reliable salad, nice rocket lettuce, cherry tomatos, cheese, cucumber, anything at all really. And have a basket of different breads with butter, olive oil and pesto for dressings! HTH
oh mae....my mouth is watering thinking of that salad and bread with olive oil mmm! Sounds like a winner :D Now...next thing on my list is a birthday pressie for hubby! :shock:
[quote:36qvlzg9]Hi Mrs Gina, Why do we do it to ourselves! What about a warm chicken salad for a starter? That's a nice and easy one to do. Or take the easy option and go for nibbles like me! Hope all is well with you and you're enjoying married life. Thanks, Aisling.[/quote:36qvlzg9] Oh I know......the hassle! But I'm sure it'll be worth it :D I'm loving married life. Hubby pointed out that we're married 8 weeks today - how time flies! :D
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
For a starter try a tomato tart - make an pastry shell for a tart/flan dish (using an egg pastry so as you don't need to blind bake it). Mix creme fraise and dijon mustard half and half and line the shell. Then fill with sliced plum tomatoes sprinkle over a little fresh thyme and bake in a hot oven for 45-50 minutes.
ADS Posts: 26
i'm absolutely hooked on Nevin Maguire's recipes..... miss him so much from what was open house and now there's just two nanny goats on in the afternoon show who drive me spare!!! I digress... anyway... the following are always a great hit when I do dinner parties which is pretty often... Chicken & Leek pasta in white wine, garlic and cream sauce or Pork Steak with a marmalade, honeymustard sauce... (so simple to make...) hope it gives inspiration. And another time I did a roast beef - which I even surprised myself it turned out gorgeous and all 8 people were thrilled with the 'standard' dinner.....
mdec04 Posts: 41
For the starters try twice baked goats cheese souffles, or a warm goats cheese salad with rocket pesto, sound complicated but absolutely foolproof and can be made days in advance - both Good Housekeeping recipes. For the main a one pot dish would be good - coq au vin, lamb tagine, Avoca 1 has a great baked lamb in coconut and cumin that's really good with Nigel Slaters fragrant rice. hth m