Dinners to freeze

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mari yay Posts: 4045
Hi ladies, Just want to get some dinners cooked and frozen before baby gets here so I can just defrost and I don't have to worry about cooking. I'll do the usual lasagnes, shepherd's pie, curries, etc. But I'm looking for any other suggestions (and recipes!) besides the usual stuff. Thanks!
Dollydo Posts: 759
Chicken and veg pie, I make it the exact same as a shepards pie but use a chicken supreme sauce. Hotpots Fish pie Chilli Beef stroganoff
mrsh11 Posts: 113
Any kind of stews or tagines are good for freezing I find the BBC good food website good sometimes - here's a link to a section they have on freezable recipes http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/reci ... freezable/
Excellent, thanks ladies, that's a great link mrsh, much appreciated :thnk
alwayshoping Posts: 409
buy a few loaves of bread too for freezing. and some tins of stuff and frozen veg, pasta rice etc. handy for v quick dinners
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
I'm doing the same. So far I have lamb stew (thank you MIL), 2 chicken and brocolli bakes and a chicken and veg casserole in the freezer. Recipe for the casserole is below if you want it: 6 chicken thighs / 3-4 whole chicken legs / 8 chicken drumsticks (or any combo of above for 2 people on bone, skin removed) 500ml chicken stock (2 cubes) with as much of the following added as you like, I use approx 1tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tbspn worstershire sauce, 1 tbspn balsamic vinegar, tomato puree 1 leek chopped mushrooms 2 carrots chopped in large chunks 1 large sweet potato/half a butternut squash Seal the chicken, then throw everything else in and cook until the sweet potato/squash is soft. Serve with rice or mash. I'm also going to chop some chicken breasts, beef pieces and pork pieces and put them in a stir fry marinade in the freezer - really easy to take out and throw some veg on top. And I'm going to do some single serve roast veg soups for lunches. Great idea about the sliced pans, alwayshoping.
Thanks ladies, appreciate all the tips. Always have bread in the freezer for emergencies but with a whole extra freezer I could stretch to 2 or 3!!
ginger power Posts: 1632
sorry to butt in, but that website is just brilliant girls am gonna make a list off it seen loads O-O O-O
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
Just had a look at that link too, some really lovely recipes there! I was in Supervalu today and they had those foil cartons with a cardboard top (like a bigger version of a Chinese delivery carton) which are really handy for going straight from the freezer to the oven, and you can write directly on the lid what's in it!
[quote="PaniniRoses":15emuk7t]I was in Supervalu today and they had those foil cartons with a cardboard top (like a bigger version of a Chinese delivery carton) which are really handy for going straight from the freezer to the oven, and you can write directly on the lid what's in it![/quote:15emuk7t] I got two 10 packs in the €2 shop as well! You should put the date on it too as you're not supposed to freeze longer than 3 months so if you write the date you can rotate them!