Discharge - sign of things starting or normal??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wedjul05 Posts: 5673
Hey, I was going to post this anyway then I saw that 2 other of the oct mammies have this so I was wondering...... When you start having a mucus discharge, is this an immient-ish sign of labour or is this normal torwards the end and labour still could be far off?? I for one have been having some discharge since last week; once it was red/brown and then just the normal colour. Had loads yesterday, mentioned this to doc at hosp appointment. All that I got was 'its normal'. Then had loads more this morning, again red/brown in colour. Just wondering as I'd LOVE to go early :o0 and I'm trying to convince myself that this is a sign. Probably isn't though. thanks :wv
sherbetlemon Posts: 927
Hi WedJul, Not sure if you read an earlier post from me in Oct mums, but I lost part of my mucus plug at 33 weeks. TMI alert - it was like a blob of brown-ish jelly :-8 I spoke to both the doctor and consultant about this and they both said that mucus/discharge is unfortunately the most unreliable sign that labour is imminent. You could go into labour the following day, week or even over your due date. It is good though as it means your cervix is getting ready for labour. Know thats not what you wanted to hear - but I think contractions or the breaking of your waters are the only sign that something is really happening. :wv
sunnyside Posts: 3164
wedjul05 I think I'm one of the other october mums you are talking about. I've had this for almost 10 days. And I mean loads!!! Doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. Although I would have thought that if it was coloured red/brown it sounded more like the plug so maybe you're a bit further on
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
sherbet - ye, I reckoned it was just wishful thinking on my part. Sorry I forgot about you saying you lost your plug earlier. oh well, just have to wait I suppse yes sunnyside you were t'other oct mummy I was ref'ering to! I got all excited and panicked at the same time when this started last week. still getting loads each time I wipe but it seems to be just part and parcel of babs head being touching off the cervix. Oh well we will just have to keep our fingers crossed, drinking RLT, bouncing on the balls and whatever else we will be doing to TRY and bring on labour.
NiamhOct06 Posts: 1253
It's a positive sign that something is happening I believe, but you could be days or a couple of weeks from labour starting. Then again my friend started getting a lot of discharge on a Monday night and had babs by Thursday. This waiting is torture! :o0