Menu

District Nurses

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sassy1 Posts: 446
Girls - have a question - you know the Community (District) Nurses that call out to the house after you have a baby do you have to let them into your home - I have just heard that the one that covers my area is less than nice and has demanded to look in people's presses and fridges etc
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I'm sure you don't have to but maybe give her a chance? The local nurses can be a great help and you may need to call on one in the future so personally i'd give her a chance first.
jamseyjo Posts: 1132
Sassy1 Posts: 446
Yeah spoke to two mothers in my area and both had said she had them in tears by the time she was leaving - one she acquised of not looking after her child properly cause she wouldn't breast feed the other one she said she made a smart comment about what was in her fridge Both said that cause the babies were only a few weeks old and they were tired and trying to get into a routine they weren't really prepared for her and I am dreading it cause when she sees my cats and dogs I can only imagine what she is going to say - think I may just lock the kitchen door before she arrives :o0
AwkwardAnnie Posts: 2191
Personally I would give her a chance, there are always a couple of horror stories. District nurses are usually very nice and helpful, especially in the first couple of weeks. Give her a chance. If she is like you say, well then your prepared for her. Don't let her get you annoyed or down. And if she does look through your fridge (which she is definitely not entitled to do) then I would report her behaviour.
Maybe arrange to have someone else there for a bit of back up when she calls. She sounds a pain in the neck but you never know, I'd just be reluctant to burn your bridges before you even start. You can always say it's nap time etc and ask her to leave you to it.
jamseyjo Posts: 1132
Funny i've always found phn's to be great, our regular one is very nice, very available for phone calls, asking advice etc. I'm sure there are some terrible ones like there is in any profession but at the end of the day they are there to help if you need them, if you don't agree with what they have to say then you are free to make up your own mind.
RoseDawson Posts: 1494
I only know from my sister as she has had two babies and both phn's she had were lovely. Maybe just have the cats and dogs in a different room when she comes and say nothing, your pets have nothing to do with her at all. Maybe just bring here into a sitting room if you have one, keep her out of the kitchen and she wont get a chance to snoop in your fridge, weird!!
chiara k Posts: 97
People have a misconception about PHN but they are a support service, I know because I am one. Our role is basically to support mothers, give advice, carry out developmental checks , listen and offer help if mothers are suffering from PND or any difficulties, my area has alot of domestic violence and finally safeguard children. There should be no snooping in cupboards or fridges we are guests in people's home! I accept people have different experiences of their PHN but I really hope you use the service offered to you.