Menu

District Nurses - Page 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ladymacbeth Posts: 713
Can any one tell me what kind of training a PHN gets beyond the normal nursing training , or what kind of continued education they do . I'm just gobsmacked by some of the stuff that my friends and people on here tell me they advise and came out with , some of it is pure old wives tales , some of it is just wrong and some of it is directly opposite to whats recommended by medicine and science and common sense !!!!! . I don't know what to think !!!! ( examples of advice on weaning/ feeding / washing / solids were some of the best ) . For OP I would give her a chance , stories grow legs . ( just read my own line about stories growing legs - I'm sure they do but there's still alot of crazy PHN advice out there ,where does it come from ! )
chiara k Posts: 97
They are trained nurses, most are midwifery trained and then they do an extra year of phn training which is a minimum of a degree course or masters. I've seen some terrible advice been given on this forum mostly in the thread what you would do differently second time round, what I would advise is use online up to date sources for advice, the NHS sites are usually the most up to date. Birth to five is an excellent online source that is constantly updated.
[quote="chiara k":3qh3eimo]They are trained nurses, most are midwifery trained and then they do an extra year of phn training which is a minimum of a degree course or masters. I've seen some terrible advice been given on this forum mostly in the thread what you would do differently second time round, what I would advise is use online up to date sources for advice, the NHS sites are usually the most up to date. Birth to five is an excellent online source that is constantly updated.[/quote:3qh3eimo] What is the story with them keeping up to date or the info they give , is it just what they fancy or do they take their info from a HSE developed source .Do they have to have Midwifery done ? NOt sure I'm making sense but maybe you know what I mean , like does a middle aged PHN just drive around the country armed with what she ( or he but they seem to be mostly she) learned twenty years ago . Any insights ? I find NHS choices website just brilliant, they should use that !!!!
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
They don't have to have midwifery done, but they do a midwifery module during the postgraduate course. Some of the older phns tend to be a bit old school but that goes for most professions. The newer generation of phns are more up to date with skills and professional development. Unfortunately, because the HSE is such a sham at the moment, there are plenty of nurses and phns out there that aren't up to date because the HSE don't bother taking enough interest to keep them up to date. I think phns get an unnecessarily hard time.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
What do you think ladymacbeth? Do you think they go around advising whatever they fancy? Have you been told inaccurate information from a Phn? Most of the phns I know are trained midwifes also, many have masters. If a Phn was to go into every home insisting that bottles are made by the book, that you should breastfeed for 6 mts at least, that you have to keep the baby in your room for 6 mts blah blah, I'm sure there are instances where they do more harm than good. But they are the guidelines. I would imagine that they use a mixture of the guidelines, common sense, their own experience etc. at the end of the day support and guidance to one person is pushyness and impracticality to another. I'm not sure who the they is in 'they should use that', but phns and all medical professionals are kept up to speed by training days.
[quote="Bonnie Parker":3647s4w6]What do you think ladymacbeth? Do you think they go around advising whatever they fancy? Have you been told inaccurate information from a Phn? Most of the phns I know are trained midwifes also, many have masters. If a Phn was to go into every home insisting that bottles are made by the book, that you should breastfeed for 6 mts at least, that you have to keep the baby in your room for 6 mts blah blah, I'm sure there are instances where they do more harm than good. But they are the guidelines. I would imagine that they use a mixture of the guidelines, common sense, their own experience etc. at the end of the day support and guidance to one person is pushyness and impracticality to another. I'm not sure who the they is in 'they should use that', but phns and all medical professionals are kept up to speed by training days.[/quote:3647s4w6] What I think ( as I expressed in my posts) is that there is alot of reporting on this site of a range of advice from PHNs form odd to truly bizzare . I think ( as I said ) that I am curious as to what the regieme for qualification to be a PHN and why they get such a bashing at times . Do I think they go around advising whatever they fancy? - I don't know what they base their advice on , thats why I asked !!!!! The 'they' is public health nurses . There is no equivalent from the HSE of uptodate agency/state regulated comprehensive evidence based easy to read advice that I can find online , so yeah, I think it would be a great website for them to use. Pretty handy resource to have access to on the road that they could direct patients who have questions to . For the record I posted on here asking what the deal was with PHN training and education and the bad rep they have at times , on foot of someone else starting the thread asking if they would look in the kitchen cupboards - I'm not paying out PHNS !!!!! I just want to know more about their training and role .
chiara k Posts: 97
I can't tell you what update training they go on I'm afraid as I trained and work abroad (i have a masters) but I tend to spend a lot of time on update courses here which I presume is the same there. All the older experienced PHN are midwifery trained as they only changed that rule about 10 years ago so now they don't need midwifery. I tell mums that I am here at your disposal to use as often as they want but the sad reality is that there is not enough of us unfortunately.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
[quote="ladymacbeth":20sesm2q]What is the story with them keeping up to date or the info they give , is it just what they fancy or do they take their info from a HSE developed source .Do they have to have Midwifery done ? NOt sure I'm making sense but maybe you know what I mean , like does a middle aged PHN just drive around the country armed with what she ( or he but they seem to be mostly she) learned twenty years ago . Any insights ? [/quote:20sesm2q] What do you mean by 'middle aged'? Most of the PHNs I came into contact with were maybe early 30s, I wouldn't consider that middle aged. And the documentation I got was from the HSE, at least the logo and website was on it. I didn't think all their advice was brilliant, but I'd say that about the nurses in hospital, or my mum, or websites like this. I take what I need and what I know will work, like safety tips for the house as one example, and disregard that which didn't work, like keeping LO in our room for six months. I don't think its fair to say they just rock up at every door with something they 'learned twenty years ago'. I don't know anyone in any profession who still only goes by what they learned twenty years before, health professionals especially.
jamseyjo Posts: 1132
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":lonkabfv][quote="ladymacbeth":lonkabfv]What is the story with them keeping up to date or the info they give , is it just what they fancy or do they take their info from a HSE developed source .Do they have to have Midwifery done ? NOt sure I'm making sense but maybe you know what I mean , like does a middle aged PHN just drive around the country armed with what she ( or he but they seem to be mostly she) learned twenty years ago . Any insights ? [/quote:lonkabfv] What do you mean by 'middle aged'? Most of the PHNs I came into contact with were maybe early 30s, I wouldn't consider that middle aged. And the documentation I got was from the HSE, at least the logo and website was on it. I didn't think all their advice was brilliant, but I'd say that about the nurses in hospital, or my mum, or websites like this. I take what I need and what I know will work, like safety tips for the house as one example, and disregard that which didn't work, like keeping LO in our room for six months. I don't think its fair to say they just rock up at every door with something they 'learned twenty years ago'. I don't know anyone in any profession who still only goes by what they learned twenty years before, health professionals especially.[/quote:lonkabfv] I meant if you are a PHn who is middle aged , not that all phns are middle aged , I was getting at what sort of update do they get on the general advice of childcare that would be different to twenty years ago on things like feeding , weaning etc . For example when I little the phn told my mother the a soother would ruin my face , I needed more blankets and a pillow to sleep well and that gripe water was great - common thoughts at the time - this sort of not quite medical general childcare stuff is what I meant . Because alot of what seems to come up in peoples posts is this sort of stuff . As an aside our PHN is 50 and brilliant when we had her in the house post major major surgery , for all of us not just the one who was under the knife .