DIY Facials?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

gingerwhinger Posts: 1421
Anyone any tips for doing facials at home? What products do you recommend to use or what do you do yourself? Trying to save some dosh by doing it myself so if you could recommend some inexpensive products that would great. Also what exactly do I need, I was thinking cleanser, toner, face mask?
:o)ll
tassajara Posts: 723
When I do a facial at home, I use my normal cleanser, Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish with a muslin cloth, followed by a gentle exfoliator from Benefit. Sometimes, depending on how gunked up my skin is, I will use The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Face Mask for fifteen minutes and wash it off. Always follow this with a toner because if it is left on the skin, it will give you really bad spots. Then I lash on some rosehip oil, and let that sink in.
flor Posts: 1621
hi gingerwhinger, do you have a routine going at the moment or are there any particular products which you use currently? do you have any particular skin issues, or allergies? you don't have to say here, but they would be factors worth thinking about before you buy anything. but in any event, products for cleansing, toning & moisturising will be what you need, maybe an exfoliator too. regular exfoliation will keep the skin looking young & fresh, but be sure to use an SPF (15 or higher) every day too to prevent premature aging and/or hyperpigmentation. i like dermalogica & clinique products, and although they're not on the cheaper end of the scale, they last me a long time. i find Dermalogica’s daily microfoliant v good for brightening the skin (i use it every 2nd day), & for a really deep clean (esp. when i’ve been wearing makeup etc) i use the pre-cleanse and cleanser (the precleanse dissolves oil based products which allows the regular cleanser to work more efficiently). Using a cleanser with a face cloth & very warm water is also very good for deep cleaning your pores, and also exfoliates the skin. i've heard good things about st. ives apricot scrub (available in supermarkets) and also the body shop's honey & oatmeal 3 in 1 mask (it says it cleanses, exfoliates & moisturises) for normal/dry skin. vitamin a also acts as an exfoliator so you could buy vit a capsules in the chemist, pierce them with a needle and apply the contents to your face before bed time. similarly with vitamin e capsules, vit e being good for helping to heal scarring. for toning, i find splashing ice cold water on your face as good as any, but have also heard that rose water (you can buy it cheaply in the chemist) is also good and very gentle. if your budget can stretch, an eye cream would also be worth considering, as regular moisturisers for the face are not suited to the skin in the eye area & can block the pores. the body shop have a clear eye gel which is nice & gentle, and also a vit e one too which is richer, for drier skin. And another product worth thinking about would be a serum, or a moisturiser containing hyaluronic acid which basically plumps up the skin by holding moisture/water in the outer layers of your skin. Just be sure not to try anything new too close to the wedding in case of allergic reactions! HTH!
Thanks girls, going to stock up on some new products at the wknd and I'll try out your recommendations. I'll have beautiful glowing skin for the wedding :o0