Menu

DIY invitations questions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bridester Posts: 920
Hi Girls, I am looking into what would be involved in DIYing my invitations at the moment. I would like to decide if it is for me or not. I have a couple of really basic questions I'm hoping you can help me with. 1. Do you use card or paper for invitations? Is there any thickness etc I should be looking for? Is the invitation usually built up of layers of card and paper. 2. Where did you buy your card or paper as I have been looking for patterned paper/card (as well as plain) and there seems to be a very poor variety? 3. For DIYing your invitations, did you buy a DIY pack from vistaprint (or similar) and then put them together yourself or did you cut from a template and fold the paper/card yourself? Thanks a million in advance for any help you can give me. :thnk
MissBid Posts: 587
I DIY'd but I used the ready-made kit from http://www.diywedding.ie/Candypress/scripts/default.asp I got the simplest looking of the invites as I knew it would be a nightmare doing the complicated ones. The simpler ones are fine to make..
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
Hi Bridster, I DIY'ed my invitations. I used a combination of card and paper - mainly because the card was too thick to feed through my printer. I would highly recommend getting samples and trying them out first on your printer before you order everything. Another tip would be to be careful about what finish paper you order. Certain metallic papers will only print on a laser printer. Cards and pockets have a great selection of plain, metallic and patterned card and paper and you can order samples. I did all the cutting myself so if you are doing the same I would recommend getting a proper guillotine from a stationers (cost approx. €40). I would also recommed getting a proper paper glue if you are layering as this allows you to manover the top layer on the bottle layer so that the border is even on all four sides - You can't do this with double sided tape you will have to measure it IYKWIM. Anymore questions just ask!
Thanks a million ladies. [quote="Sparkly Lady":25j21s2a]I would also recommed getting a proper paper glue if you are layering [/quote:25j21s2a] Can I ask is the glue in a glue gun the proper glue or is it more like prit stick etc?
daintreepaper Posts: 51
Hiya if you want a demo or advise on diy, we have a special free diy service in our store. The girls will give you advice and ideas even if you don't buy from us. Our email is [email protected] if your ever stuck for anything. email us a few ideas and we'll post you some free samples so you can have a try first before you buy a load. We do sell card or papers and can advise you on what paper to print on what machine etc. Differant papers do need differant glues so we'll advise you on which glue based on the paper you use! Thanks Nichola
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
[quote="Bridester":ii39m5gf]Thanks a million ladies. [quote="Sparkly Lady":ii39m5gf]I would also recommed getting a proper paper glue if you are layering [/quote:ii39m5gf] Can I ask is the glue in a glue gun the proper glue or is it more like prit stick etc?[/quote:ii39m5gf] Pm'ed ya Bridester :wv
Flower Store
Thanks Guys, Daintree, I'm going to pop into the open evening if I can make it! Thanks!
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I can second Daintree for supplies and advice! The one thing I will say to you is definitely buy a few trial packs from Daintree first and see how easy you find it to make them. Don't pick something too complicated that will wreck your head by the time you have made just 10 of them! I bought several samples I liked in Daintree. Tried them on the printer at home to see what worked. Sometimes they look very different made up to what you thought on the website. The shop is well worth a visit because there are more examples than online I think and you can get a feel for the quality of the paper. If you like a particular design but find it expensive, look for similar alternative papers or maybe a lighter thickness that may work out cheaper for you by the time you have multiplied it by 100! You can buy single pages in Daintree so you can see how they print etc. Or if it's a layered design, you can take out a layer for example. The one thing I would go elsewhere for (sorry Daintree!) is paper flowers, ribbons and other decorations - Daintree is quite expensive for these. These are brilliant value on www.diywedding.ie and they sell sample packs in every colour.
Thanks a million hon - that's very useful. I have been doing loads of research on this over the last couple of days and am starting to get a few ideas of what I might like. I need to go and actually look at invitations next - to get a feel for the paper and the thickness and size. Thanks again.
daintreepaper Posts: 51
Do drop by tonight if you get a chnce, it goes ahead despite of this miserable weather, ONLY IN IRELAND!!! Can't stress how inportant it is to try firs, oh and design your invite to fit your envelope coz you can't get envelopes made up special if you do an odd size.. LOL Delphinium we don't mind shopping around, I get my ribbon in rubenesque :eek =)