DIY invivations

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

eagerbride2011 Posts: 242
Hi All Well I know thinkng well ahead bt i'm making my own invites and was wondering any of you guys/girls have any hints, tips or pics to share for some inspiration. I have the paper which is the gatefold A5 (think thats wht its called) Would love to hear your stories or ideas you may have for me! Would love to see your ends reults if you's have any?? Danni x
hunnymonster Posts: 725
below are some pictures of ours. The green/gold ones are the save the dates and then when the girls picked their BM's dresses we used those colours for the actual invites my tips: -guesstimate how long it will take and triple it - buy a little extra of everything, you'll make mistakes or invite more people - consider buying (Aldi) or borrowing a guillotine, it really makes a difference when you have layers as the edges will be exactly straight and right angles at the corners, looks a lot more professional - make one and weigh it to check you're under the weight for a 55c stamp - DIY'ing is great as you can print the names better than you can handwrite them. We also put names on the RSVP's so that we would know who was replying. I really enjoyed making ours and was happy that we could personalise each one as we were doing them all individually. [img:35b68ayd]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_vAkVY_UsNN4/S1oGJqYmRjI/AAAAAAAAV9g/DhaU3M2C3Ls/s640/save%20he%20dates%20-%20blurred.jpg[/img:35b68ayd] [img:35b68ayd]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_vAkVY_UsNN4/S1oGMtFTMUI/AAAAAAAAV9o/Q7sz98rqUug/s640/monogram%20blurred.jpg[/img:35b68ayd] [img:35b68ayd]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vAkVY_UsNN4/S1oGQET7qjI/AAAAAAAAV9w/vZKue0rBr_A/s512/invites-blurred.jpg[/img:35b68ayd] [img:35b68ayd]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_vAkVY_UsNN4/S1oGStCb0gI/AAAAAAAAV94/zarOaHMHO2Q/s720/parts-blurred.jpg[/img:35b68ayd]
OMG love the design!! Can I ask did u get the extra pieces for maps? What extras did u add in?? I just bought the paper is there any other type of paper for the main part of the invites do u reccommend we should get any other type of paper? Did it work out cheaper for you? Thanks for all your tips hunnymonster!!!
hunnymonster Posts: 725
yeah it worked out much cheaper. I just bought standard stock card in a crafts shop (130g weight for the inserts for the maps directions etc, 80 g for the printing of the invite bit and 300g for the pocketfold itself) I did buy the silver big and rsvp envelopes readymade from ebay. I used some left over organza for the little bags which I filled with almonds and included a little scroll with the significance of the almonds. Ribbon came from ebay (hint avoid the malaysian ribbon sellers, the quality just wasn't as good). Just used standard carft glue to stick everything (one 250ml bottle was plenty for the whole project)
Claire Kelly Posts: 66
Hi DIY is a great idea...for more ideas look on my website www.clairekellydesigns.com. I have a few invite samples there which were designed for both handmade and DIY so you shouldn't have any problems recreating any of them. Hope this is of some help to you. Best of luck with your invites. Regards Claire
Thanks girls!! Probably a really stupid question claire but the add ons that say wedding invite and evening invite do you print them yourself??
No its really not a stupid question at all... But yes you would print them yourself. And of course if you were having difficulties with the printing side of things I would help you.
Sorry just re-read your post at first I thought you were talking about the insert part with all the information. But if its the front detail banners then no you dont print them yourself I have them on sale in the shop....Sorry about the misunderstanding.
I really like the look of the letter and the style you have given me great inspiration for my invites. My wedding isn't until 17 months away but was thinking it will probably take that long for me to make them :o0
You'll make a great job of them...Best of luck with everything.