dj for two hours for around 250

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Emsey Posts: 76
anyone know if id get a dj for 2hours in dublin for around 250...im paying a fortune for my band and finding it v difficult to shell out another 350 or 400 for 2 hours of a dj......am i being unrealistic???
pink or blue Posts: 359
hey emsey, I think €350 seems to be the going rate for dj's these days, i have priced a good few and all quotes are the same... im in the same boat very expensive band and have to pay for dj seperately... dont think you will get it any cheaper but hopefully you will!! :wv the only thing with a cheaper dj is you may run the risk of them being an amatuer and thats the last thing you want on your big day.... its hard to know..
a_happier_me Posts: 112
My experience from seeing my H2B, who is a DJ in the West of Ireland, is this: DJ is expected to be at the venue at the tea break, and be prepared for the finish of the band...(Not knowing what time he may or may not start). In MY opinion.... If you've not scrimped on anything else for your wedding, dress, cars, flowers, cake, band....etc. Why cut corners on the DJ?? A good DJ will give the perfect finish to an otherwise perfect day!! It's not the DJ's fault if the band are over priced. As another DJ friend of ours says: "Quality Costs". You may get a cheap costing DJ...You MAY end up getting what you pay for. Best of Luck to you!! I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear...but it is certainly something to think about when making your decision. :xox
LadyMary Posts: 1050
our Dj is costing €500 for 2.5 hours. We knew he would be expensive but he is just the best in his field and will be the prefect finish. Music is very important and is remembered, cut back on flowers, invites, chair covers as people wont remember these.
IRELANDS DJ NETWORK Posts: 172
Hi, It amazes me why the DJ is always treated as the poor relation of the wedding entertainment provided on any wedding day. This is an area that will let your day down if you go for the "cheap" option Why on earth would any DJ give up a night for €250 Take the Tax,Vat,insurance,travel,equipment upkeep to name a few from this amount you would be left with very little for what is a hard nights work. a DJ leaves home around 8pm to set up early,loads heavy equpment into and out of the venue,plays a 2/3hr set then and will be lucky to arrive home bofore 4.30am. Wedding DJs (the good ones) carry a high quality sound and lighting systems (not a 2 speaker system with a couple of flashing lights). Also can someone please tell me how a DJ gets the title "Best in his field" as I am not aware of any polls that state this fact. €500 for 2.5hrs WOW. Paul
LadyMary Posts: 1050
[quote="IRELANDS DJ NETWORK":2cedhmt8]Hi, It amazes me why the DJ is always treated as the poor relation of the wedding entertainment provided on any wedding day. This is an area that will let your day down if you go for the "cheap" option Why on earth would any DJ give up a night for €250 Take the Tax,Vat,insurance,travel,equipment upkeep to name a few from this amount you would be left with very little for what is a hard nights work. a DJ leaves home around 8pm to set up early,loads heavy equpment into and out of the venue,plays a 2/3hr set then and will be lucky to arrive home bofore 4.30am. Wedding DJs (the good ones) carry a high quality sound and lighting systems (not a 2 speaker system with a couple of flashing lights). Also can someone please tell me how a DJ gets the title "Best in his field" as I am not aware of any polls that state this fact. €500 for 2.5hrs WOW. Paul[/quote:2cedhmt8] Hey Mr. I was only stating that my Dj is very good every wedding in our area he gets - why? as he is great & fun. Now i'm praising Dj's and stating that ye should be included in weddings as the Dj is important too and alot of brides dont think so. As they forgot only consentrate on the band. One minute your saying oh dont slate Dj's they work a long night, how could you expect to pay only blah blah blah. I come on saying DJ are important i'm willing to pay XYZ and u slate me. Seriously not a good way to handle things on here.
a_happier_me Posts: 112
[quote="IRELANDS DJ NETWORK":15o58krb]Also can someone please tell me how a DJ gets the title "Best in his field" as I am not aware of any polls that state this fact.[/quote:15o58krb] Well said LadyMary... No need to slate someone who's running on your side!!!
Hi All, I expected to get slated for my comments. Well done to Ladymary for paying to ensure quality and again €500 WOW to the fact that he can quote this amout..this is what I would expect for the sound and lighting system I supply for a wedding but I would not be working as brides are not comparing like for like when looking at quotes from DJs. (it is your own opinion that this guy is the best in his field not voted as part of a poll).Maybe this attack on your comment was abit harsh and will now say sorry for comment.. Day in Day out I watch bands offering a "DJ service" for €220.. and brides are paying it -- one comment a while back "how hard can it be changing a few CD's" this says that the DJ is looked upon as having no talent.when infact he plays longer than most bands and has to be able to keep the atmosphere alive till the very end of the night using both music selection and MC skills if needed. Brides will think nothing of paying €2-€3k for a high end wedding band but will question a high fee from a high end DJ.(and yes there are different standards out there). Emsey states it quite clearly " spent a fortune on the band" .. so needs to cut back on the DJ (€100). The evening food will cost more than your DJ to quote a fellow DJ, which will provide the best value for money. Thank you to all who give the DJ service a bit of thought. Paul
wol-r-us Posts: 273
I am one of those people who gave out about a friends band doing the DJ service - it was useless. I would prefer a DJ However €250 is a hell of a lot more than I get paid for 8 hours work a day. So for 3/4 hours work I would deem this to be a decent wage, no? Yes you work odd hours but I would say €250 covers that.
Hi wol-r-us, Totally different work environment This is a business which incurs running costs and the fee quoted would include all costs and is also subject to income tax and Vat being deducted. You go to work and do not see the cost to your company as you are more than likely paid a monthly wage.( I do not know which line of business you are in so can't comment on the running costs) €250 would be the gross figure the net figure after all costs/taxes are removed would be a hell of a lot less. I don't quote the first figure that come into my head or quote higher for certain venues, I quote a fair price that covers costs and also enough to make a living (this is why we all work like it or not). For €250 you get a DJ arriving 15 mins before the start time with 2 speakers a couple of lights and there is no way their sound system will be adequate to follow a good bands sound system... it will be screaming for mercy in a medium to large room. eg Knightsbrook in Trim or main room in The killashee hotel Naas. I will be happy to provide a full list of equipment including back up equipment I carry to any Bride to compare against any quote less than €350. Paul