Do I have to tip at my wedding

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

melobride Posts: 26
Hi everyone, Just wondered if anybody knew the correct procedure re tipping? Are you supposed to tip the waiting staff or leave a general tip when you are settling the bill? Thanks Wollies
lux Posts: 6270
We're in negotiations with our venue over the service charge. As its not an hotel there is a charge to hire the room and a 12.5% service charge. With the menu and wine we want the charge is working out the same as the room hire so we're trying to get them to drop one or the other. If we end up having to pay both (its looking likely) we won't be tipping AT ALL on the day and we're making that clear to the venue. If its not, we will leave a flat tip to be divided among the staff the next day. There is no way I'd tip and pay the service charge as the charge is supposed to go to the staff anyway.
Is there a service charge generally? That was never mentioned to me...there is no venue hire just a per head basis, canapes, evening food, accomodation. Is the service chage the norm Lux? Thanx
[quote="melobride":25u2hvtf]Is there a service charge generally? That was never mentioned to me...there is no venue hire just a per head basis, canapes, evening food, accomodation. Is the service chage the norm Lux? Thanx[/quote:25u2hvtf] We're using a restaurant rather than an hotel, I presume most hotels don't charge to hire the room. It should be in your contract, and I would check it carefully for mention of the service charge as it can be high-ours is coming in at about €900 given the food and wine we've chosen which I think is crazy, the room hire is €900 too so thats €1800 before anything else. One of them has to go. If they insist, we love the venue so we'll keep it but there will be no tipping and I'll be passing the word onto my guests that tipping is not necessary.
You are right Lux, thats crazy expensive. I'll wait and see, the staff are lovely it just seems like they are trying to get money left right and cente, a bit greedy. I'll check the contract, thanks. Have a great wedding
No prob, I've learned its best to be clear about the service charge before signing off on the contract, a friend of mine got stung for it when her and hubby were checking out of the hotel the next day. They had given a cash tip OF €500 to the head waiter to be divided and then ended up paying about €700 extra as a service charge, as they'd signed the contract there was nothing they could do! Beware, check EVERYTHING!
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
We didn't tip. The service was good and we were very happy with the venue and staff. But they didn't give us anything extra in our package and I feel they already made their money from our wedding. I don't begrudge them and like I said, we were happy with the level of service but it was nothing we didn't expect considering what we already paid.
I think you are right, its tight times and I don't think we could afford anywhere near €500 as a n additional tip. I'd give the venue a good review but not a monetary tip.
I won't be tipping if the service charge is not dropped. I usually refuse to pay service charges cos I think they a total racket-are we supposed to get our own food out of the kitchen and open our own wine?! But as we love the venue and we're slightly reluctant to change, if we have to pay it we will. If we like the service we'll leave a tip the next day based on how good the service was.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
We didn't tip.We were really happy with our venue and everything was great but when you're handing over thousands of euro a tip can just be too much!