Do men give up their seats for women anymore?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Just got thinking of this over the weekend. Just a general musing/wondering. Was ona bus into town and the upstairs of the bus was closed because of a leak in the roof. So downstairs was packed with people and it was standing room only all the way into town. It's about a 45 min journey into the city centre from where we are. Anyway, during the journey I was looking around the bus and noticed that about 60 per cent of the seats happened to be occupied by men. And there were at least....15 women standing on the bus. And the men didn't offer their seats to the women. Now...I didn't really think anything of it, I'm well used to standing on buses, it's no big deal at all. And I regularly give my seat to elderly people (both men and women), disabled people, pregnant women or a woman with a baby that she can sit on her lap. But I just got thinking - years ago when I'd be going to school or going places with my Dad say, or my friends' Dads...if there was a woman standing and a man sitting, he'd immediately give up his seat. Even now say in a doctor's surgery or a waiting room, if there's only one seat, my Dad gives it to my Mam and he stands. I know that's a bit old fashioned but in a way it's kind of nice and considerate as well. I just thought on the bus that if one of the guys had got up and offered me or another woman a seat it would have been a generaous polite thing to do. What do you think?
Mrs Fahrenheit Posts: 1582
Nope - it's dated and not the done thing anymore, if a man offered me my seat I would be paranoid that they thought I was pregnant or something. I think the days of women being seen as the weaker sex are gone!
randomusername Posts: 2134
I think while it sounds nice there are far to many moany, cranky, hormonal women out there for men to take a chance. I have seen some man get taken apart by some hormental loon when offering a seat on a train :o0
streaks Posts: 3592
Not in my experience anyway! They're more likely to sit on ya that give up a seat for ya :o0
bel2012 Posts: 34
I've just had a baby and had to attend the hospital every fortnight (high risk) and on many occasions the midwives had to tell the men to get off their a*ses and let the pregnant women sit down. What annoyed me more was that their partners never thought to tell them to shift it in the first place!!!!!
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
Generally you don't see it very often anymore. I get the dart every day and usually if there are a good few people standing along the aisle and someone gets off the guys usually let a woman have the free seat but this doesn't always happen. I have given up my seat for a pregnant woman or an elderly person and a guy has offered me his seat after I stand up but that has only happened a couple of times. There's one guy I work with who gets on the Dart every morning when there are loads of seats left but he always stands and only takes a seat on non rush hour darts. I remember when I was getting Dublin Bus first back in 1997/98 more guys used to offer their seats up for women.
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
If a man offered me a seat for no reason other than the fact I'm a woman, I wouldn't take it. I'm perfectly capable of standing (well, maybe not right now, but you know what I mean).
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I don’t think that you can have it both ways if we want to be treated as equals. Fair enough if you are pregnant or have a baby with you then I would think that someone should offer you a seat (not just a man btw). If you’re young and able bodied then I believe that seats on public transport should be a first come first served basis.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
No and why would they? Women have been fighting to be equal for centuries and although I would LOVE a seat, I would never expect a man to give it up for me. It's shocking when people don't give up a seat for an elderly person or pregnant woman. When I was waiting in the Coombe while preg on DS, another pregnant woman gave me a seat! The amount of men seating was unreal. She thought I ws further along, which I wasn't but how nice
circus123 Posts: 379
nowadays i only ever seen men offer their seat to a woman in the pub, never on public transport maybe it's a conversation starter in the pub :o0