Do parents have a favourite child?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Delish Posts: 4176
I think in our parents generation people accepted that their parents had a favourite child. It is totally unacceptable to admit this now. I think it is true that parents can click with one child more than others. I know my mother treats us differently and is a bit softer on one of us than the rest of us.
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
DH is the favorite in his family. Very obvious to everyone.
newmammy2011 Posts: 1255
I have heard of this happen before. I have to say my Mum is an angel she never treated any of us differently. My Dad now on the other hand would say who his favourite was and its not me unfortunately :o0 but TBH none of us pass a blind bit of notice, we know which one it is but on a fairness level he has never treated any of us differently and he always makes sure that we know how important we are to him, bless his socks.
milis Posts: 7998
Treating different children differently doesn't mean you prefer one over another. It could just mean that they have different needs and the parents want to meet these needs!
MeSB Posts: 3785
milis Posts: 7998
Delish, are you worried that you won't be able to love No. 2 as much as you love No. 1? Some of my friends have said that when they were pg with No. 2!!!
newmammy2011 Posts: 1255
Great thread and very informative seeing others perspective on things.
bucketofchips Posts: 1913
I have a [b:drqqmyui]very[/b:drqqmyui] distinct favouring to one of my two cats... this worries me a little for the future...
MeSB Posts: 3785
bucketofchips Posts: 1913
[quote="Flower Angel":3ohkqzem]Aww do you think the other cat knows he's not the favorite?[/quote:3ohkqzem] Yes at times I think he does, mind you he's a bit (a lot) slow, we called him Rufus but hubby calls him Dufus :o0 The other one is teeny, REALLY cute, vocal, very entertaining, fun, playful, charming, looks almost like she is going to whip out a mini top hat and tails and do a tap dance, I have to admit, as shameful and terrible as I feel to say it, I do pick up Gizmo a lot more and squeeze her to death telling her "I love you, I love you, I Looooove you", the other one is normally at this stage under the bed being unsociable or looking at me with big eyes making me feel dreadfully mean. I do love him too lots but I just can't help being more affectionate to the little one, she's my little buddy and sits beside me or on my lap all day when I'm working from home, he runs away from me and hides (as he has a dreadful nervous disposition from the day he was born). When he catches me telling Gizmo how she's the best cat in all of Australia I do always make sure I tell him he's the best 'male' cat in all of Australia :o0