Do partners come to first doc visit??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nikbic Posts: 344
hi all im just wondering if your partners come to the first doctors visit or not... im about 8 weeks pregnant and going to book a visit this week also what happens at this what kind of exam to they do??
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
DH didn't on either of my pregnancies. You give the doc a urine sample and he/she will confirm the pregnancy and then my doc got paperwork ready to send to the hospital as I was going public. Then he gave me some info on eating, told me to take folic acid and sent me on my merry way! Would have been a total waste of a day off for dh!
nikbic Posts: 344
thanks for that.. yea i was kinda thinking that myself - in one way it would be nice to kind of confirm it or make it real for him but at the same time i thought it would be a bit silly.. O:o)
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
Well it's totally up to you and your dh. If he was off anyway it might be nice for you both to make a day of it but I wouldn't get him to take a day off for it. He'll need days more a the pregnancy goes on for hospital scans etc.
Ochre Posts: 877
My GP just took my word for it that I was PG; no tests or anything. She took my blood pressure but I don't think DH would have been too excited about that :o0 After that, it was just a talk about nutrition, consultants etc. Oh, and she patiently answered my 50 million questions about whether I could get highlights, spray tans and important things like that :o0 So unless your DH has leave to use up as he comes towards the end of the year, I'd say to save it for the hospital appointments. I was in and out in half an hour and went on to work afterwards
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
My DH didnt come to my 1st GP visit, tbh its a bit pointless having them there, GP just tested my urine and blood pressure and told me to start taking folic acid if I wasnt already and gave me an estimated date and that was about it, Good luck with your appointment :wv
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
It is totally up to you really. My dh did come with me but that was because the both of us just happened to be off work that day. If dh had of been working I would of went alone
eled Posts: 713
My hubby came with me to first doc visit. He was just as excited as me and wanted to be there when the doc confirmed pregnancy
happyfamily Posts: 3323
It's up to you and DH. My man would insist on being there!!!!!!