Do Protein Bars work?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

05bride Posts: 314
are these a gimmick or do they really help shift the pounds combined with a healthy diet? thanks
marianf Posts: 5845
[quote="05Bride":2bqd10d7]are these a gimmick or do they really help shift the pounds combined with a healthy diet? thanks[/quote:2bqd10d7] As far as I know eating them will help with muscle building but you won't necessarily lose weight with them. In fact you could put on weight.
LAdancer Posts: 445
You are supposed to eat Protein bars after exercise as it helps your muscles recover and help you build lean muscle which means that you tone up etc, but your supposed to following a proper diet brown rice etc. Also make sure you don't get the high protein bars as some of these have over 350 calories a bar. I find that the bar does fill me up and help me recover after a hard training session, but if you eat one count it as one of your snacks or something. xxx
frecklz Posts: 1839
Protein bars, as has already been said in this thread, have nothing to do with weight loss. Why would they? Protein bars, shakes and powders are for weight-lifting muscle-builders who spend their time pumping iron. To aid your muscle development after exercise just eat normal healthy food. In my opinion, eating any protein supplements without converting it to serious muscle would do more damage than good. Normal doses of protein are advisable. Edited to say; the above poster made a good point about calories. Body-building diets are almost the total opposite to weight loss diets.