Do you actually look in the mirror in the mornings?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Every morning, especially before going to work, I do a quick glance to check that everything is in it's right place - that I haven't tried to brush my hair with my toothbrush......(well it is before 6am so that's my excuse!!) As I'm front of house, you have to make sure that you look respectable and professional - but obviously not everyone thinks like that! There's one lady in here who is in sales or at least has to go out for meetings, so you need to look well. She's a little on the large side (now I ain't some skinny mini as you can tell by my username! :o0 ) but someone really should have a talk with her. Today she's wearing black trousers, grand, but one leg is about 1 or 2" shorter than the other because the other leg is hanging over her shoe because the hem seems to be gone. Fair enough, she may not have noticed that as it may have only happend in work - but it's the top part that's a no-no. As I said, she's "big-boned", but surely if that's the case, you make sure your top fits you correctly. You know the way if a guy has a beer belly and it hangs out underneath thier tops.....that's what she does too!! :ooh Some may think she was pregnant, as some women like to do that kind of thing - she can't be pregnant for 6yrs!!! It's not a good image of the company, if it's staff go out to meetings dressed like that. Even my colleauge (who pointed it out first to me) says it looks horrible, I wonder what her dress code is like when she's not in work, do her clothes fit her the same way? If (God forbid) I was like that, I'd hope that a friend or family member would point out the "wardrobe malfunction".
Jawl Posts: 8881
It isn't a very easy thing to point out to somebody, a lot of people are ultra sensitive. I have a friend who dresses like you have just described. And nobody could say anything to her about it, my god she's so sensitive she'd take the head off your shoulders. So maybe your colleagues friends and family are in the same boat. I'd hope that somebody would be able to say it to me if I was in that position. But my friend is deffo not approachable for that at all. She's probably size 20-22 but would tell you she's a 12-14, imagine telling her her clothes didn't fit :action34
SilverGirl Posts: 1517
Where I work we didnt have a dress code until a few customers complained about one member of staff who used to wear low cut tops where you could literally see everything :eek It was mentioned to her in a nice way a few times by a few of us but she ignored us all. We then got a dress code and she was told no more low cut tops!
[quote="SilverGirl":2919s4ij]Where I work we didnt have a dress code until a few customers complained about one member of staff who used to wear low cut tops where you could literally see everything :eek It was mentioned to her in a nice way a few times by a few of us but she ignored us all. We then got a dress code and she was told no more low cut tops![/quote:2919s4ij] I think a dress code can be a good thing but people wearing too small clothes to them is a bit different. My friend has a uniform for work, doesn't mean it fits.
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
Oh the famous muffin top :-8 There are a few in our place like that and it is the guys who comment on it all the time!
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
[quote="Jawl":mlihsy8m]She's probably size 20-22 but would tell you she's a 12-14, imagine telling her her clothes didn't fit :action34[/quote:mlihsy8m] I'm guessing here, but I'd put her in that 20/22 bracket. A few years ago we had one of those low cut top girls working on reception. Surprise, surprise all the guys that came in, went to her. Eventually HR had to step in and tell her that her outfits were innappropriate for work, and that she wasn't wear them again.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
No one likes getting a size bigger but FFS dress your size! It's silly to buy stuff that doesn't fit properly. Whatever size you are, you [i:vormvxh1]can[/i:vormvxh1] look good. I cringe to see the muffin tops around. People can live in such denial it seems; it's not just a river in Egypt :o0 I've seen people who are great at size 16 and then a fat size 10 or 12 beside them. What I mean is, the size 16 has dressed in the right clothes and cut for them but you can get slimmer girls pushing it and wearing size 8 when they clearly aren't. Some people just take no pride in their appearance. I've been to work when the hem on one trouser leg has fallen but I'd always try to get a fastener for the timebeing then get them fixed. Other people think it's no biggy. Make up is a personal thing and doesn't mean you look scruffy. You don't have to be vain but there are things for me are the very basics - *) Proper fitting clothes and in good repair *) Clean clothes, nicely ironed and not looking like they've been slept in *) Clean hair and body *) Brushed hair *) Clean foot wear in good repair; no wonky heels or holes need apply :-8
Twirl Posts: 5598
I kind of feel sorry for this girl, i know everyone should dress there size and as you said she has been like that for years now so in other words she has had plenty of time to buy appropriate clothes. I would not be slinny mini (i used to be :o( ) and god i would do everything to hide my weight but i suppose everyone is different! With regards to looking in the mirror, i cannot pass one ( a trait i got from my mam :o0 ). Without being harsh but i just dont understand how people go out without making some effort. I dont mean dressed up all the time but dont go out looking like a slob. Here is a person i think makes absolutely no effort....... louise Nerding on Something for the weekend, he hair need to be brushed, some make-up and clothes that dont consist of wearing her grandfathers shirt! Seriously she lets the side down big time.
[quote="MrsMM2010":zglo7luc]I kind of feel sorry for this girl, i know everyone should dress there size and as you said she has been like that for years now so in other words she has had plenty of time to buy appropriate clothes. I would not be slinny mini (i used to be :o( ) and god i would do everything to hide my weight but i suppose everyone is different! With regards to looking in the mirror, i cannot pass one ( a trait i got from my mam :o0 ). Without being harsh but i just dont understand how people go out without making some effort. I dont mean dressed up all the time but dont go out looking like a slob. Here is a person i think makes absolutely no effort....... louise Nerding on Something for the weekend, he hair need to be brushed, some make-up and clothes that dont consist of wearing her grandfathers shirt! Seriously she lets the side down big time.[/quote:zglo7luc] I feel sorry for her too, I mean she obviously has nobody to tell her, or can't be told. I'm a 16/18 and I can't wear ill fitting clothes. The label is irrelvant to me, it's all about comfort and appearance. My weddng gown is size 22.
candypants Posts: 8575
Emmmm, the answer is no!! I no longer have the time to look in the mirror :o0 Here i was trotting to school to collect DD thinkin i was gorgeous with my top on inside out :-8 :o0