Do you ALWAYS get a drip

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
I know this may sound trivial, but just wondering is it the normal that you get the drip when you go into labour? Or is it just in some cases? This is really playing on my mind, I'm terrifed of needles, can just about cope with the idea of blood tests...
Anonymous Posts: 24542
I really empathise, I am GOD AWFUL with needles. I don't belive that it would be routine though. I had twins last week- do you want to know details of what happened and what involved needles? Would it help you feel more prepared? Michelle.
theoracle Posts: 7664
You might get a drip if you are getting induced and also you will def get a drip if getting an epi. It is not a must but will depend on how your labour developes. I had a drip on first one as I had an epi, but on my second I had a natural delivery which means nix, nada, nothing!
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
I was induced but just needed gel. Only injection during labour was a local anesthetic for episiotomy, because it's down there you can't see and anyway getting the needle is better than feeling the cut!
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Jedi, Most women never have a drip in a normally progressing labour. You might need one one if you are very dehydrated - so be sure to drink to thirst. If your labour is being speeded up you would get a drip too (it's called augmentation of labour) Tracy
Jeidi Posts: 3128
No I think I'd rather not know, and hopefully I'll not notice half the stuff going on when I'm in labour. I know I'd want and epi when the time comes but I cant get passed the thought of the size of the needle. I'm cat like that!
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Yeah you're probably better off not knowing, as sure with everything happening it does go quicker than normally facing needles :o(