Menu

Do you believe everything happens for a reason?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MadlyInLove Posts: 529
I got news on Friday that a masters course i applied for and was so confident of getting is not being run this year due to lack of interest. I was so excited about it and it would really really help my future career. The response i have been getting from everyone is 'ah well its not meant to be' and 'everything happens for a reason' I know people are only trying to be nice and it is a kind of cliched response when things dont work out. It got me thinking....do you believe that things do happen for a reason? I dont know what I believe. Im a bit on the fence about it. What about all those people stuck abroad who cant get home, people missing weddings, funerals, etc...is all this happening for a reason? Sorry i know this is a bit philosophical but just interested to know what people think??
nelswife Posts: 3869
I do tend to say that sometimes, but i don't belive it, i do believe in what goes around comes around though!!... Is there anyway you could do your course online?
hils138 Posts: 680
Yes, I believe everything happens for a reason. A bit like Sliding Doors the movie. Sometimes, it doesn't look like the best route but further down the road things are better.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I'm not superstitious as such but I do belive everything happens for reason. I also believe, like the OP, what goes around comes around. Karma rules! It will all work out for you. I know it's hard to see passed the initial disappointment but I doubt this course was your only option to help further your career. There are other opportunities out there. It sucks though that this course wasn't available to you. Chin up and think positive. :action32
Ya sliding doors is a very interesting concept. Such a small little thing like missing a train can change the whole course of your life. I really dont know if I believe it. Does every single decision you make have such an impact on the rest of your life? Sometimes I wonder is it just peoples way of consoling themselves when things dont work out. I know so many people are guilty of this (including me) It is easier to just think 'awh sure maybe it just wasnt meant to be' I guess we can never get a definitive answer on it because noone will know what could have been if the things were different (hope that makes sense) [quote="mrssmith2b2010":p3h9w57y]I do tend to say that sometimes, but i don't belive it, i do believe in what goes around comes around though!!... Is there anyway you could do your course online?[/quote:p3h9w57y] No cant do this particular course on line but I must do some research now into different ones. The Univeristy offered me a place on a similar course but it just isnt the same. Am so disappointed but maybe it is happening for a reason and another course might have a better impact on my life? :o0
Mrs2babridesoon Posts: 3319
Ya I do, most of the time, I am a great believe in 'some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers'
gillette Posts: 1803
For some things in life, maybe. But to be honest, this saying kind of reminds me of the nuns' response in school when someone would ask why God lets bad things happen. We'd be told it was in God's plan etc (or else they'd say free will). Usually the person asking would have a sick Granny or parent and the response wouldn't give them a whole lot of comfort (and free will isn't an option for an illness usually). So, I think for big things like serious illness or death, I don't see how they can happen for a reason. But for other things, like hopefully your scenario, it can be true.
[quote="Mrsdodders (formerly Bridee80)":2vceawc4]I'm not superstitious as such but I do belive everything happens for reason. I also believe, like the OP, what goes around comes around. Karma rules! It will all work out for you. I know it's hard to see passed the initial disappointment but I doubt this course was your only option to help further your career. There are other opportunities out there. It sucks though that this course wasn't available to you. Chin up and think positive. :action32[/quote:2vceawc4] Thank you :thnk Ya there are definately other courses I can do. I suppose I was probably a bit silly focusing on just one course. It just seemed to tick all the right boxes for me and where I want to go into the future. Hopefully it will all work out.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
No I don't believe that everything happens for a reason at all. I believe that actions have consequences and choices we make will impact our future life but that's different. What about all the war, death, starvation and just plain old evil in the world- whats the reason for that? I think that its what we tell ourselves to make sense out of disappointment in our lives.
[quote="Columbo30":2biun86d]No I don't believe that everything happens for a reason at all. I believe that actions have consequences and choices we make will impact our future life but that's different. What about all the war, death, starvation and just plain old evil in the world- whats the reason for that? I think that its what we tell ourselves to make sense out of disappointment in our lives.[/quote:2biun86d] I was talking with my friend about this too and she thinks there has to be bad things in the world like war, death, etc so we all appreciate the good things. We have to feel pain in order to know what it is like to be feel happiness. I think this is a catholic idea, i could be wrong. Ya i agree that all actions have consequences and people can choose paths in order to make their lives better, no arguement there. However what about people who make choices but then things dont work out, like my masters. Is there some reason that i shouldnt do it or is it just hard luck? Im just interested in peoples perspective on this..i dont think there can be any right or wrong answer.