Do you donate blood?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Gone2007 Posts: 4182
I feel really bad that I don't, but even though I'm not exactly a delicate little flower, every time I even think about it I feel sick and faint. I know if I could make myself do it i could shame H2B into going too, he has never donated either. So if I did it, it would be two extra donors which makes me feel even guiltier that i don't!
clucky Posts: 26471
no and every time they are in mullingar i go down and was sent away - first for having a cold and then for being on af going next time though prmoise
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Yep, do it regularly. Going again this Friday. The first time I did it I was fainting all day afterwards - because I was silly and hadn't eaten a proper breakfast. But don't feel guilty if you really, really couldn't face doing it. It freaks some people out, and thats ok.
justforfunsies Posts: 2502
i do and the last time i dragged himself along too....its a nice feeling actually being in a room with loads of others that do too...makes u believe there are actually still some nice people left in the world.
*gone* Posts: 4785
Do it anytime I can now - since my sister was sick and got blood transfusions, I felt that we owed something back to the system. Got turned away the last time though cos I had a cough. Love munching on the biccies and fizzy orange afterwards!! It's like being at a party in school again!
BlushingB Posts: 1634
Yep, I've given blood lots of times, there's nothing to it. I feel so bad though, with all this wedding stuff I haven't had a chance to do it at all this year and probably won't until after the wedding. They've actually phoned me a few times looking for my blood as it's what they need for newborn babies. I don't have antigens in my blood that can harm them. So, it's so nice to know that I may have helped little newborns. Seriously girls, you get a kick out of knowing how much you're helping people. There's very few excuses not to give blood, other than medical ones.
lisam Posts: 221
i cant cos i have a thing called sarcoidosis - really wanted to too cos my mum has had a few blood transfusions lately and i wanted to give something back. Trying to get my sister to do it but she is too afraid
Mrs Malefesense Posts: 1440
Yes. And I'm constantly actively recruiting newbies. The hardest thing is getting your finger pricked for them to test it for iron and that's just a pinch. You don't see a needle and you've a friendly face to yap to the whole time you're there. I attend the clinic in D'Olier Street Dublin so I also get free sweeties when I'm finished Would suggest anyone who can donates and being afraid of needles is not a valid excuse!!! Face your fears ladies - you'd be surprised how easily it is and how good you feel about yourself afterwards.
radish Posts: 268
Can't, must weigh over 50 kg and I don't
BlushingB Posts: 1634
[quote:w9i15p87]Can't, must weigh over 50 kg and I don't[/quote:w9i15p87] Good excuse for a pig-out so!