Do you get on better with guys or girls?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

streaks Posts: 3592
Just something I was thinking about earlier, I tend to get on a lot better with guys. While I have a lot of girl friends, I usually find guys easier to get on with, in general I find them less b!tchy. Anyone else the same?
gopro Posts: 1801
GUYS. my bestfriend since childhood is a fella. he is like a bro to me we have benn through so much together. most of my friends through school were lads too. me and DH were friends before we got together. I love sports & Cars, and i suppose thats big thing. in the last few years i have become friends with girls a bit easier. i go out with the lads even if DH isnt. it could be me and 5 lads out. my mix of close friends would be 80% male 20 female.
lux Posts: 6270
I think its 50-50, totally depends on the person, some of DH male friends I love, others not so much! I have some male friends and female ones, I don't really think about who I get on better with in terms of gender. I went to an all girls secondary school and I found it a very negative experiance. I loved having the boys around in primary but I really missed male company in secondary school. I was chatting about this with some friends, all of whom went to all girls schools for secondary, and a few of us said we felt quite emotionally stunted not having boys around. I know girls do better in single gender schools academically but DH and I would like, ideally, our children to attend a mixed one for the social aspect. DH also feels he missed out being in an all boys school. It wasn't until I did some projects outside school in TY I really talked to boys (there weren't a lot of kids living near us so interaction was limited) my age and got to know them as friends.
LittleLily Posts: 3682
When I was in school is was 50/50. I went to a mixed school and would have had really good friends of both gender. Lately though I'm finding women way easier to get on with. Lads are grand and all but if you need to have a proper chat or sort out any problems, you can't beat women for that. Hubby is the exception of course.
lux Posts: 6270
[quote="LittleLily":3th5m4c6]Lately though I'm finding women way easier to get on with. Lads are grand and all but if you need to have a proper chat or sort out any problems, you can't beat women for that. Hubby is the exception of course.[/quote:3th5m4c6] This is true-I find DH would never ask his mates about a personal problem or how to deal with something more senstive. I've a couple of friends I find are great sounding boards to talk to about a more personal issue, whereas I don't think DH would ever think about asking his mates about such things. He has a great bunch of mates but in some ways the friendships are more on the surface, going to matches or a pub for a few beers after work, rather than at a deeper level like I'd have with some girlfriends and my gay best friend. DH goes out of his way for one or two and I think he's realising how they take him for granted. He helped one move, but when we needed a hand he just said he couldn't help as he has a child to mind. DH was very annoyed about that and this, and a few other things, has made him reign in what he does for others. He's so generous and good natured he doesn't know when people are taking the mick.
jamjars Posts: 1721
All through college it was guys... all my mates were guys and bar my best friend on a daily basis I mostly hung out with guys but it's definitely evened out over the last few years, have very different types of relationships with both sexes... In a work capacity I prefer working with males generally
katief Posts: 1900
I hate these women who claim they get on better with guys. They're normally all the same, they sit their in the thick of a group of men, then when another woman joins the group, their nose gets put out of joint, and they haven't a clue how to relate to females. I get on with both. I take the person as the person, not their gender.
gopro Posts: 1801
[quote="katief":2g8uurvh]I hate these women who claim they get on better with guys. They're normally all the same, they sit their in the thick of a group of men, then when another woman joins the group, their nose gets put out of joint, and they haven't a clue how to relate to females. I get on with both. I take the person as the person, not their gender.[/quote:2g8uurvh] how do you think you are makin a judgement on me n other lads who get on better with men? So do you think you know every woman out there and the friendships wit men??? I'm only too delighted wen the lads get girlfriends
katief Posts: 1900
[quote="letsttc":3f3beihw][quote="katief":3f3beihw]I hate these women who claim they get on better with guys. They're normally all the same, they sit their in the thick of a group of men, then when another woman joins the group, their nose gets put out of joint, and they haven't a clue how to relate to females. I get on with both. I take the person as the person, not their gender.[/quote:3f3beihw] how do you think you are makin a judgement on me n other lads who get on better with men? So do you think you know every woman out there and the friendships wit men??? I'm only too delighted wen the lads get girlfriends[/quote:3f3beihw] I'm not making a judgement on you personally. I mean women who claim to be one of the lads in general. It's a bit sad.
bigjt11 Posts: 170
Like Lux I feel like i was socially stunted by all girls schools, I am from a family of 5 girls one boy, he is nine years younger so doesn't count. I went to an all girls primary and secondary school, my cousins my age were all girls as were all my neighbours... I can honestly say that it made me incredibly self conscious and intimidated around boys right up until the last 6 years or so. The only reason i am any better now is because i work in a male dominated role and i got together with H (I knew he was the one as i never felt intimidated by him!) so i have realised they are not so scary. In my experience though they are well capable of b!tchy comments, often done in a less obvious way but with just as much sting! And just like my OH if you talk to them about feelings or emotional issues they are well capable and able to support.