Do you have sky(or similar)?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

katiemomma Posts: 2690
We have four channels. Just wondering are we the only ones. We don't really know of any of our friends/family who don't have sky or similar or one of those boxes that gets extra channels without a monthly bill. (Don't know what you call them). We can live without it. We find we watch enough tv with the four channels and use player to watch any episodes we did miss. There are some shows I have heard of or have seen the odd episode while at friends houses that we probably do miss out on but I dont mind. Are we the only ones who dont have 100s of channels?
rubymoon Posts: 756
Hi we had SKY and then SKY+ for 2 years and recently switched to UPC but will be changing back to SKY+ as we much prefer it. A cousin of mine onlu has 4 channels and OH's parents have 6 channels and they are fine without it too. It just depends on if you would like extra channels or not. So no, I wouldn't say you are missing out at all unless it is something you think you would like. DH loves the discovery channel and nature type programmes and DS loves disney so that is why we get it. Plus I do love MTV and E channel.
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
We have sky and even though I love the record feature there are nights when I spend the time flicking through channels and there is still nothing on, we have wondered if we should just get rid of it. So you are probably not missing out at all. Channel 4 also has a good player that you can watch online if there are shows on C4, More 4 etc that you want to watch.
Jawl Posts: 8881
I have UPC with the record facility. Hundreds of channels doesn't always equal something to watch, trust me! I'd be lost without the ability to record and watch later though.
SunnyK Posts: 3834
Agree with Jawl....I'd be lost without the record facility. I have Sky Plus but only have 2 additional packages...the variety and music. Don't tend to use the music too much anymore, only if I'm cleaning the apartment or something I'd have it blasting (not often! :-8 ) It's only €25 a month for these 2 plus all the normal channels. Even though there isn't always something on, I'd be lost without it. My planner has loads of location location, come dine with me, all the reality stuff on E or Living...some of them you wouldn't get with the 4 channels. I guess it all depends on how much time you spend watching tv and what you like to watch. I tend to spend all day Sunday at home vegging in front of it and I definitely make use of it but there's definitely times when even with hundreds of channels there is sweet FA on !
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
cremebrulee Posts: 8546
We have UPC and I love it.... love being able to pause a program in the middle of watching it, the recording facilities, etc.
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
We have sky and I do love it, but it was a year before we actually got it. And we survived!!! The best thing is the record facility, means we can watch programmes when we want but if you're happy with the 4 channels then there's no real NEED for sky. I also watch documentaries all the time so it's beneficial to me
ciaraella Posts: 5323
[quote="SunnyK":1ezoyo2r]Agree with Jawl....I'd be lost without the record facility. [/quote:1ezoyo2r] +1, there's loads of other things i'd cut back on before sky. We're paying the top price ( i think around 62euro) because we have the sports and movies. I don't really mind because we would watch alot of movies and DH is a sports fanatic. That together with the fact that we don't spend much money going out justifies it for us. Alot of the channels have rubbish on them but i love more4 for things like come dine with me, one born every minute, the good wife etc, sky living has great shows like blue bloods, boardwalk empire and fx has truie blood and the walking dead. We don't watch much rubbish because we record alot of stuff so we always have something stored that we want to see rather than just watching rubbish for the sake of it. I wouldn't get rid of it in a million years!
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
we have the sky +.. wouldnt be without it but it does take away from our relationship a bit as we are always watching telly!! we have all the channels except sports and movies and pay 16.50 a month