Do you know anyone having an affair?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Just wondering. Was reading another forum and a girl there was saying she knew loads of people, normal people not celebrities, having an affair. Do you? I don't. Well, obviously, not that I know of! Most of my siblings and friends are married or in long term relationships with kids like and there's no gossip about anyone or no 'did you hear about Mary being caught with her boss in the closet' type thing. None of my friends, again, that I know of have had affairs, have never said to me they've had affairs in the past. I've never had an affair. Just wondering if it's that widespread in Ireland?
belcra Posts: 1097
Hi SK, I don't know anybody either. You hear about it but it's never in my immediate circles - or even acquaintances here in Ireland. I've heard of it more with some of my colleagues in the UK. I can't imagine it to be honest. I've heard my Mum tell the odd story of someone having an affair but it's usually somebody who is part of the IT crowd if you know what I mean.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
I know/knew of 2 couples who got divorced because the man in the marriage had affairs(s). The 1st one was a couple who I thought were rock solid, it was just around the time most of my friends were getting married. It was a shock to find out that one. The 2nd one I only found out about recently. Again a shock as I never knew the reason for the split, the woman in the marriage presumed I knew. Both couples (4 people) were non-irish bar 1 person. THe men in the marriage's were non-irish.
THat's it Belcra, I find it so hard to imagine. Any of my friends or sisters or brothers - I just can't imagine it. Of course it happens but I find it hard to get my head around. Must be a really hard thing to go through. WedJuly - Gosh that's mad, such a pity. Were they married long? I find it hard to understand why someone married only a year or so would have an affair. You konw when you see the celebs divorcing after 16 months or one year or two years cos of affairs, I just don't understand that.
R2theB Posts: 1660
My Dad had an affair with his secretary. How clichéd! Water under the bridge now, happened in the mid-80s and the marriage was doomed in anyways. So far so good with family and friends, long may it last!
[quote="R2theB":1b73pecu]My Dad had an affair with his secretary. How clichéd! Water under the bridge now, happened in the mid-80s and the marriage was doomed in anyways. So far so good with family and friends, long may it last![/quote:1b73pecu] Eeek sorry, I'll take my extremely large foot out of my extremely large mouth. Sorry to hear that.
mammy2011 Posts: 1388
Yeah, unfortunately. Not anyone close to me but I know for definite of three couples where one party has strayed, and in one case it is an ongoing thing. Can i ask if you knew for definite about a family/friend being cheated on, would you tell?
belcra Posts: 1097
God I don't know if I'd tell - hard to know without being in the situation. I'm trying to think what I'd do if I caught my brother in law cheating on my sister. I'm not sure what would be left of him by the time I'd finished with him but I can't imagine telling her - I think I'd try to get him to do it. So hard to know really.
[quote="mammy2011":3fmb2mtx]Yeah, unfortunately. Not anyone close to me but I know for definite of three couples where one party has strayed, and in one case it is an ongoing thing. Can i ask if you knew for definite about a family/friend being cheated on, would you tell?[/quote:3fmb2mtx] Gosh, three couples? Am mentally running through all my mates and trying to imagine it!! It's a hard question isn't it? It's hard to know, sometimes the messenger gets shot. Sometimes the couple breaks up then makes up and you're the big bad wolf for reporting the cheating. Sometimes if you stay out of it and the friend finds out, you're the big bad wolf for saying nothing. It's a hard one. Honest answer is I don't know. I think I'd have to take each case on its merits.
teapotty Posts: 2085
I don't know anyone directly but I'd have heard rumours about people my parents age down through the years. One (true, not a rumour) was of the man who was in his 40s/50s had an affair with his daughter's friend who was like, 18 or something :duh: