Do you leave upstairs windows open when you're out

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Busy Mom Posts: 2910
Its insanely warm lately and ive all the windows in the house open the whole time and when I'm heading out for a bit during the day I leave the ones at the front open but close the ones at the back. I live in a housing estate although it's very quiet and nobody opposite me. Am I mad? Are burglars that blatant that they'd put a ladder up to the front of a house in broad daylight ? Eta do you leave your bedroom window open at night?
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
yeah I think that you're mad!! Also if you were burgled and left the window the insurance wouldn't pay out (AKAIK) I lock everything and set the alarm every time I leave the house. Our neighbours were burgled when the went to the shops- they were obviously watching the house and knew when to strike. Even if your estate is quiet it doesn't mean that you are any less likely to be burgled.
strawberries1 Posts: 1245
I would leave the top windows open if I was just walking round the shops (it's really is just around the corner) but himself goes mad if I do saying as Regina does that we wouldn't be insured. So I've stopped doing it. Arial I can't agree with you on it being warm though :eek We have the heating on every night this week it's freezing.
Bridester Posts: 920
No chance - I would be freaked out all day. The number of robberies is defo on the up. Better to be safe than sorry IMO. :action28
Busy Mom Posts: 2910
I'm heavily pregnant and REALLY feeling the heat ! Gonna update the OP and ask do you leave your bedroom window open at night ?
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
I'd leave the top part of the top window open all day some days - it's one of the small ones that there's no way someone would get in, but if I was going out for a while (and I thought of it) I'd close it again. Those parts of the windows aren't alarmed, so I can still turn it on and do, so I presume my insurance would be ok. I don't usually leave them open at night because it's been too cold lately, but if it was very warm, then again, I'd leave the small part open.
queen30 Posts: 1551
if i am at my parents house or my Ohs house id have the window open at night as the bedrooms have those windows that are really small, but my own bedroom window is a big side opening one (IYKWIM) and i get a bit scared on my own to leave that open at night.
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Bedroom window is always open, himself goes cracked if its closed at night!
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
[quote="PaniniRoses":20dif9kv]I'd leave the top part of the top window open all day some days - it's one of the small ones that there's no way someone would get in, but if I was going out for a while (and I thought of it) I'd close it again. Those parts of the windows aren't alarmed, so I can still turn it on and do, so I presume my insurance would be ok. I don't usually leave them open at night because it's been too cold lately, but if it was very warm, then again, I'd leave the small part open.[/quote:20dif9kv] When I was a kid my parents had one of these windows in the laundry that would be open all the time. When I was about 5 one night our 6 month old puppy went berserk, parents went down to check and all seemed ok. When they got up the next day they found a small orange tree that had been on the window sill inside was smashed on the concrete outside! :ooh :eek We never would have thought that someone would have been able to fit through it, but they obviously thought differently. Can you lock your windows when they are a bit open Arial? If not I would be really surprised if you can't get locks that allow you to lock it when cracked open, just make sure it doesn't leave access to a bigger window unless that is locked too. I'm the same as you at the moment, I can hardly be in the bedroom unless the window is cracked for air, can't open it wider or we'll have all the cats in the bedroom with us :o0
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
No I all of them even if we are going out for a few minutes. I leave the back ones on airlock sometimes!