Do you like your job?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pauline722 Posts: 323
We had a discussion at work about jobs. I said there are people who love what the do and love the job they have. Everyone at the table disagreed with me and said there is no one who loves what they do. So I determined to find people who love what they do. So do you love your job? If yes or no what do you do? I do not like what I do. I work in finance and it is definitely not the career I wanted.
neuromancer Posts: 166
How could they possibly know that? A depressing thought, ha! I don't love my current job but I'm training in an area and getting practical experience in a job that so far I feel I will love. My mother and father both love their jobs and always have. I've grown up in a household of positivity towards work and knowing how great it can be to do a job you love. It's definitely possible, just unfortunately doesn't happen for everyone for many, various reasons.
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
I do like my job, not particularly fond of the company, and getting a bit fed up waking up at 4am to go to work, can't see myself doing it for ever, but no idea what I'd do instead!
BertRaccoon Posts: 321
I picked no. I don't hate it as much as I used to but this isn't due to any change in the work but more a general acceptance of this is how things are so I don't let it get me down as much (except for the odd melt down of course!) The work itself isn't bad but it's in no way fulfilling or challenging and I feel like the time I spent in college is wasted. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to enjoy going to work everyday - such a depressing thought! I'd do things so differently if I could go back and fill in my CAO form again....
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I picked other, I love the job I do, I like the place I work in and I like the people I work with except for the boss who I have to deal with most. If he wasnt here I'd love it!
pauline722 Posts: 323
See! I knew there were people who liked their job!! I wish I could say the same. I also feel like there is no challenge to it. I do think college was a waste of time now...aahh hindsight.
BertRaccoon Posts: 321
[quote="mrsbb":2sdxhkxs]See! I knew there were people who liked their job!! I wish I could say the same. I also feel like there is no challenge to it. I do think college was a waste of time now...aahh hindsight.[/quote:2sdxhkxs] Well I have to say mrsbb that I take comfort from the fact that I'm not the only one out there who feels like this!! We'll be rewarded in our retirement....just need to find the money to start a pension now!
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I like my job. There was a time when I absolutely loved it but I've been here a long time now so it's become a little mundane. I will look to move on next year to a bigger company, bigger portfolio etc. I have wanted to do what I do since I was 14/15. I have wanted to work in the industry I am in since I first got a taste of it 13 years ago. Ultimately this is where I want to stay. I would be disappointed if I had to move to another sector.
Gizobel Posts: 207
I love my job! I work in an art gallery and it's brilliant, such a fun place to be even when you're just doing admin :) I know how lucky I am to have found it, especially when I've always had such an interest in art!
AnthonyHutton Posts: 2235
yeah i really like my job ive had jobs where you'd be depressed sunday night or monday morning. i dont know how i did them to be honest. You'll put up with an inordinate amount of crap from a job when you're younger