do you need your marraige cert??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cookiemad Posts: 917
i heard in passing today something about having a marraige cert with you to have babs registered,is this true???dat means i have to collect mine b4 next week,and if so why do they need it???
dreamer Posts: 3941
No, you don't need it. The office you register baby at will have access to that info even if you were married in a different district. :wv
cookiemad Posts: 917
thank you so much :thnk :thnk one less thing to worry about :o0
MotherNature Posts: 317
You only need it if you were married outside of the State. If you were married in the Republic then you don't need to bring it as they'll have access to the details.
short n sweet Posts: 1802
But you do still need to have it as such - at least I did - when I went to register DD I didn't have a copy of my marraige cert but the lady serving me said no problem I can print one from here so you have it - and she charged me €10 for the privledge :ooh - I thought that was a bit Irish considering she could clearly see the details there on her computer in front of her!
vonnyoc Posts: 2688
In CUMH you need to have it, & it has to be an original not a photo copy. I don't know about the other hospitals
cookiemad Posts: 917
thanks girls,i will be in limk mat,so will have to check it out :wv
FirstTimeDad Posts: 79
What if you're not married, and have no intention of getting married? Why do they need a marriage cert?
Babystar Posts: 195
I'm guessing the reason they need a marriage cert may be to determine the guardianship rights of the child? If you are not married, unfortunately the father has no automatic legal rights in respect of the child in this country - you must apply for joint guardianship. From "What are my legal rights in respect of my child? None. Unmarried fathers do not have any automatic legal rights in respect of their children. What are my legal rights in respect of my child if my name is on the Birth Certificate? None. Having your name entered in the Register of Births does not in itself give you any legal rights in respect of your child. The father’s name being entered in the Register of Births simply establishes the paternity of the child. Joint guardianship rights can be acquired if your child’s mother agrees and you both sign the statutory declaration for joint guardianship (S.I. No 5 of 1998)" From the "Where the parents of the child are married to each other, then both the father and mother details such as, address (s), dates of birth, their occupations etc will be entered on the birth register. In this case either or both parents may sign the register. (If married outside this state Civil Marriage certificates must be shown to the Registrar and officially translated into English) Where the parents of the child are not married to each other and where the mother and father are both agreable to record the father's details then both father and mother details including address (s), dates of birth, occupations etc will be entered on the birth register. Both parents must attend the registrar and they both must sign the register. "