Do you use the drs dates or your own for telling people?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

beaches Posts: 187
Hi girls, I was in with the nurse yesterday having my bloods done and we were chatting about the difference between how far along I think I am based on ov (5+1) and how far the doctor says I am based on the 1st day of my last period (7+1). She was telling me for hospital appts etc to use what the doctor says, but it got me wondering - when you're talking to friends or family, do you use your own dates or the doctors? :thnk
honeymoon baby Posts: 270
i used the doctors date. there was only 3 days in the differance. A friend of mine used her own date which was weeks earlier than the doctors dates. So she told every body there was due 2 weeks after me. i went 11 days over and my baby was a month old when hers was born. people taught hers was a very long pregnancy
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
If you use the doctors dates from LMP then you count the pregnancy as being 40 weeks long. If you use your ovulation dates then you count about 38 weeks. Most people are more interested in your due date than exactly when you got pregnant ( unless they are very nosy!)
Doozer28 Posts: 881
[quote="dilin o damhsa":1g6pnikc]If you use the doctors dates from LMP then you count the pregnancy as being 40 weeks long. If you use your ovulation dates then you count about 38 weeks. Most people are more interested in your due date than exactly when you got pregnant ( unless they are very nosy!)[/quote:1g6pnikc] +1 to this but I just wanted to add, you might want to lie to some people about your due date to avoid being bombarded with questions around your due date, I didn't do this but kinda wished I had thinking about it now.
marles Posts: 1397
I go by the Dr. dates but I don't tell people the actual date.I just give a general reference to the date as in "I'm due early November" obviously my family and close friends know the date but personally I feel others don't need to know the date. Even with DD towards the end when people asked or commented I always replied "Any day now!"
Dr of love Posts: 425
The date of your ovulation is of no consequence so I wouldn't bother with it. Its your due date, originally based on your last known period, and that will possibly change as you get your first few scans and based on the size/stage of the baby. That is probably the most accurate indication of due date. I dont think anyone will find it helpful to know when you actually has sex and hit that egg :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
All along, I've been told 12th November and this is the date I have told anyone who needs to know. The doctor said to go by LMP which means I would be due 16th November (so only a difference of a few days) but I don't ovulate on Day 14 so have stuck with 12th November. My scan also measured the baby as due on 12th November.