Do you want children?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrswifey2012 Posts: 2042
I was watching Midday yesterday whilst doing my Thank You cards and they were talking about having children. One of the ladies didn't ever want kids but didn't really say why, but she said people often responded to her with complete shock! Do you want or already have children? And why did you have children? Do you not ever see yourself with children? And why?
katief Posts: 1900
The Jury's out. I have a very real fear Ill be one of those mothers that doesnt bond with it at birth. It happens, and knowing my luck, Id be one of them. It must be awful for those women, and their babies
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
Yes I do desperately but OH is very unsure about it. He goes through phases of wanting them and then not. He has a real fear of it but since we got married he seems to have mellowed a lot on the subject so fingers crossed it will happen.
Ellefun Posts: 1312
I want childen... I think... I'm filled with a fear though. I worry about the infant stage and whether I can keep them alive, and then when they get older can I help mould them or help them be a good person. I overthink everything. I'm 32 and still hesitant but I know, for the most part, I really do want tobe a mom.
proud mamaof1 Posts: 825
I love my DD more than anything and will always do whatever I can for her that is in her best interest. Both I and DH love her with all our being. I was always the one out of our group hating children, to even see them on the street just annoyed me but its true when they say, you love your own. Its the best experience ever. I have a friend who will be married next year 5 years and no kids yet. I would never ask her why, its a very personal thing, maybe its not happening for them, IVF, who knows. I would love another but I just can't financially at the min as I am not in perm roles and want the best for them but I will definately have more. I love, love being a mommy
katief Posts: 1900
That also Ellefun. I worry about that too. Id strive for perfection, then any less than perfect parenting and Id feel like Ive failed. Id worry what type of adult theyd become. Then I also worry, what if they turn into a sociopathic mass murderer, and theres me sitting up in bed on a sleepless night popping tranquilisers thinking "I produced this?"
mrswifey2012 Posts: 2042
I have to be honest, I have always loved children and consider myself very maternal. I definitely want children but not just yet as am not married that long and want to enjoy time with just me and DH first. However, I haven't thought too much about them growing into adults and what type of people they'll be, is that weird? For the moment I'm just thinking about them being babies and children...but maybe I'm being too short sighted...
ructions Posts: 2689
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
[quote="katief":1jv6e3v9]That also Ellefun. I worry about that too. Id strive for perfection, then any less than perfect parenting and Id feel like Ive failed. Id worry what type of adult theyd become. Then I also worry, what if they turn into a sociopathic mass murderer, and theres me sitting up in bed on a sleepless night popping tranquilisers thinking "I produced this?"[/quote:1jv6e3v9] You sound like my OH. He constantly worries about what if the child hates him etc in later life because we didn't do a good enough job.
tassajara Posts: 723
I want children but I worry that I wouldn't be a good enough of a mother. I don't want to become one of those mothers whose entire life is about their children but I worry that might mean that I would end up feeling like I'm neglecting them either.